AMC Volcano Center Cap vs Chrysler Road Wheel Center Cap

330dTA

Reaction score
I have a set of the late style ('75-'78) Chrysler Road Wheel Center Caps, but I need a set of the early ones.
As those are unobtainium, I settled for a set of repop AMC Volcano Center Caps. I paid $138 for a set:

The quality of the repops gave me a pleasant surprise: they are quite nice!
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_511.jpg

The base seems to be very similar to the Chrysler Center Cap:
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_515.jpg

Although the base is slightly thinner on the AMC cap:
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_512.jpg

Which is 13mm thick - the Chrysler cap base is about 16mm thick.
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_513.jpg

The tip of the repop AMC cap is fixed, not removable like the one in the Chrysler cap.
But the quality of the workmanship is really nice:
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_516.jpg

Initially I had thought of having that red "American Motors" band turned away by a competent lathing company.
Now I think like ...what the heck, isn't the NYer an 'American motor' as well?...

The company making these should repop the Mopar ones too.

That red circle may be a thin metal applique' or even a decal that may be glued in place and therefore you may be able to remove it.

The company making these should repop the Mopar ones too.

The company that sells those repops is called Quality Lapel Pins, from Littleton CO.https://www.qualitylapelpins.com/QualityLapelPins_AMC_Catalog.pdf
(I have no idea who makes the AMC caps for them. My wild guess is... well, never mind.)

Anyway, I e-mailed them, suggesting they pick up the Chrysler C-body market, as the NOS Center Caps go for obscene money these days. There must be more C-bodies with Road Wheels, than AMC:s with their Road Wheels. - Let's see if they reply.

That red circle may be a thin metal applique' or even a decal that may be glued in place and therefore you may be able to remove it.
Yup, that much I found out. I might try that.

They sell a "Volcano wheel peel & stick trim" (Part # AM-5), so that looks like it should work. Let us know how it works out for you.

Thank you for posting the link to the company's website, @330dTA, and for reaching g out to them. If they went for the Chrysler market, they would likely maximize their sales by teaming up with Mopar-oriented vendors.

PS: @saforwardlook posted pictures of AMC repops that were made in the 1970's by Motor Wheel in this thread. He provided more pictures and additional information in this other thread.

@Mr C posted pictures of the original 70-74 and 75-78 center caps here. He provides an illustrated explanation of the difference between the AMC Volcano and the Chrysler road wheel center caps in this other thread.

Last edited:
The company that sells those repops is called Quality Lapel Pins, from Littleton CO.https://www.qualitylapelpins.com/QualityLapelPins_AMC_Catalog.pdf
(I have no idea who makes the AMC caps for them. My wild guess is... well, never mind.)

Anyway, I e-mailed them, suggesting they pick up the Chrysler C-body market, as the NOS Center Caps go for obscene money these days. There must be more C-bodies with Road Wheels, than AMC:s with their Road Wheels. - Let's see if they reply.

No China made stuff!

Thanks, Ayilar, for reminding us of those previous threads. I for one have gone through them earlier, but had forgotten the details.

It is obvious, that the OEM Chrysler Center Caps were not made by Chrysler Corp. but instead were farmed out. That particular company (Motor Wheel or whoever) most probably does not exist anymore. But there are new companies, with better machinery (3D scanning and CNC), so who knows. Perhaps someone takes up the challenge of making those repops again.

The tip of the AMC Center Cap is flat, brushed stainless, with bevelled edge. And the serrated "axle end" is thinner.
The tip of the Chrysler Center Cap is slightly convex and polished, with no bevelling.

I just got an e-mail from Gary Konwinski, the owner or Quality Lapel Pins.
His reply was "I looked into making the Chrysler wheel caps, but the tooling costs are thousands of dollars."

His reply was "I looked into making the Chrysler wheel caps, but the tooling costs are thousands of dollars."

Wow, that was fast — thank you for the quick update. How many folks would he need for a group buy to get started? I’d be in for this set of wheels that I recently got with help from @PH27L7 and @carfreak6970

19786790-ACD0-4F46-B7D6-D9C7C01EAD09.jpeg

CBA18BDE-89BC-4318-9C3B-A974E4D1AB64.jpeg

E2DF5973-9B44-4D8A-8073-4BC9A61C8270.jpeg

8C2BEEF8-B488-493F-A1F7-06B59A2EEE3F.jpeg

What the Hell made the AMC wheel a cheaper center to make over the more desirable Chrysler dome?

Thanks, Samplingman! That is the best comparison photo set of these two Center Caps that I have seen. The size difference between them shows clearly. - Could you please measure the diameter of the serrated part of the Chrysler dome?

Thanks, Samplingman! That is the best comparison photo set of these two Center Caps that I have seen. The size difference between them shows clearly. - Could you please measure the diameter of the serrated part of the Chrysler dome?
Just under 2 inches, or exactly 5 cm.

It's hard to believe the tooling to just make the center dome bigger would cost that much more...

Does Mr. Konwinski realize that he just needs to replace the dome? Seems like an easy fix for a much needed part.

Back