Ammeter

69furyIII

Reaction score
If you disconnect the battery should the ammeter go down, or stay in the middle

Mine stays in the middle. I believe that is correct as there is no charging/discharging going on. What is yours doing?

So I put a reman alternator on it and ran a separate 8ga charge wire with fusable link to relay to fire wall, its been good for a couple months, now the battery doesn't go over 13.6 volts, then when I turn engine off, the battery slowly discharges, then I turn key and nothing no cranking or clicking battery is dead, battery 1 years old,I'm stumped.

I have to ask, why did you run the bypass? To be proactive or was this part of another issue? How long does it take for the battery to go flat when the car is turned off? Any idea how many milliamps it is pulling when car is off?

I ran the car on Tuesday, then I went to start it Friday and it was dead, it was just weird to me. Then after I turned car off I discovered connect the battery put volt meter on it and you could watch the voltage battery volt drop slowly down to 11.5 volts.

wal-mart battery? the quality of all batteries has gone right to **** just like everything else. wouldn't surprise me at all that the battery is just junk.

So I just figured out my fusable link is blown, hence I have no power to car, how long should the new fusable link be?

Oky doky I put a 6 inch fusable link in line from battery to ammeter, original on was bad, now I have power ,engine runs and battery is charging 14.6 volts

If your battery discharges with the ignition off, You need to find the drain. Could be a lot of reasons but I would start by disconnecting the alternator and see if it is still discharging. IF so, your alternator has a bad diode. If that is not the problem, you have something else draining the battery. Start by pulling fuses one by one to see if it goes away. Persistence pays off. I had one years ago that ended up being the glove compartment light switch failed and that light was killing my battery over night.

Back