Ammo for no electric cars

This is hilarious and downright ridiculous. Let's see...last time I looked at Minnesota, it is downright fuc*ing COLD there, as in -40F and C. Anything electrical loses a certain amount of energy, the colder it gets. Does anyone with a brain think an electric school bus is gong to function at all in that? With the energy a larger electric heating system alone on a bus would use; to me, this makes absolutely no sense.
I've heard -22 and the EV won't work at all. Even at 0, you may not have heat, kinda important in winter. I can handle the ten minute trip I have to work, but I've been there, done that, so I say no to that idea.

As for the buses, they will remain diesel, only regular Joe's driving car's and small trucks will be slowly cut off from our precious gasoline. I hear a report almost every day about the future of cars, that keeps sounding bleaker.

They will NEVER stop pumping oil from the ground, too many products the world depends on are made from that black gold. Sad that it's okay to screw over the public for a personal gain, and it's not saving the environment. As soon as it was learned that saying you are saving the planet became profitable, things have gone to ****.

I will admit I have "toyed" with the idea of doing an electric hybrid conversion to my 73 Newport. Not a full conversion mind you, but helper motors either in the rear brakes or an assist motor slaved to the rear axle. I don't like the idea of lithium batteries, too costly, and the strip mining & manufacturing of them is much more deadly to the long term health of the planet. My concerns are:
1. Fuel economy,
2. Emissions,
3. What kind of planet/future we're leaving for our children, grandchildren, etc..., and finally,
4. Additional power to the rear tires. Yes, the idea of bolting on 400 extra ponies to boil the Goodyear's bald and reduce asphalt to gravel is attractive, and to do so without shortening the lifespan or reliability of my big block is especially a bonus point.

Me & the misses talked about it. She's against the idea initially, mostly out of the lithium ion concern. They're expensive, no infrastructure exists to recycle or dispose of them, and of course the initial damage they do to the planet just to get them to my door. I said what about lead acid batteries, like golf carts use? Sure they require a big footprint, but the Chrysler has a huge trunk that only serves as a resonance chamber for the stereo to annoy the neighbors when I crank "I Can't Drive 45" (as if the high compression, cammed big block howling thru headers, glass packs and 4" side pipe tips don't already do). It could easily hold a dozen deep cycle batteries with just a little fortification of the leaf springs and maybe some air shocks.

Would I buy an all electric or a new manufactured hybrid car? No. I live out in the sticks of East Texas. It's a 20 minute drive to the nearest town just to get groceries. No charging stations to be found for 50 miles that I know of. Maybe if we lived in the city or a major metro area like the Dallas-Ft. Worth metroplex, it would be feasible, but I'm racking up mileage on this mortal manimal meat chassis. Crime, fast paced lifestyle, traffic jams, & the growing proliferation of STUPID PEOPLE have ruined it for me. I find I prefer long winding stretches of lonely 2 lane shoulderless blacktops where I can let the Mopar stretch it's legs and frighten the cattle. Full electric conversion would kill the nature & soul of my ride. I've sank too much time, effort & $ into it, but jazzing it up for extra fuel economy and brute acceleration does make my eyebrows rise. 7 MPG hits the wallet hard when all she wants to drink is non-ethanol super unleaded.

So yeah, I've thought about it.

So yeah, I've thought about it.

Do you know what would do everything you listed plus some while also being financially cheaper, be long-term more reliable and more "environmentally friendly" than an electric conversion? A diesel swap. :poke:

It's nothing for a 7-8,000 lbs 4x4 diesel truck to get 20+ mpg now while cranking out enough power to twist an old C body into an S body. And to top it off you would still have all of your trunk space.

Do you know what would do everything you listed plus some while also being financially cheaper, be long-term more reliable and more "environmentally friendly" than an electric conversion? A diesel swap. :poke:

It's nothing for a 7-8,000 lbs 4x4 diesel truck to get 20+ mpg now while cranking out enough power to twist an old C body into an S body. And to top it off you would still have all of your trunk space.

I have to be mindful with my 2018 Cummins to get over 20 MPG. Gotta keep it under 70 mph and not be loaded and don't pass anyone.
It is also the most lethargic thing I've ever driven . I need a quarter mile just to get up to highway speed.

It is also the most lethargic thing I've ever driven . I need a quarter mile just to get up to highway speed.

You need the right programmer. (I have no experience with that new of a truck, so keep that in mind)

Years ago I had an '05 3500 4x4 DRW Dodge with Cummins HO. Got a good programmer and cruising the highway would average 21-23. Turn her up and she would roast tires. I once raced a Chevy Cobalt SS (supercharged car) on the highway from 40-110ish (top speed and a little scary in that truck). I stayed in front of that car until I limited.

I think your '18 just needs a little help. :poke:

You need the right programmer. (I have no experience with that new of a truck, so keep that in mind)

Years ago I had an '05 3500 4x4 DRW Dodge with Cummins HO. Got a good programmer and cruising the highway would average 21-23. Turn her up and she would roast tires. I once raced a Chevy Cobalt SS (supercharged car) on the highway from 40-110ish (top speed and a little scary in that truck). I stayed in front of that car until I limited.

I think your '18 just needs a little help. :poke:

Until the DEF got involved diesel trucks were much more efficient, go figure.

I agree with your thoughts. Still being in warranty I won't mess with it.

That is all emissions. You need that black/gray haze to have any throttle response. In today's world that's a no-no, must have clear exhaust. How to do that? Simple add fuel after the turbo to superheat and light off the filter to maintain clear exhaust.
Yes you read that right. Every diesel engine since 2008 (on highway, not off road) burns fuel (more emissions from burned hydrocarbons) that is only burned down stream of any work producing component of the vehicle. Makes your exhaust clear because it traps and reburns the spot with more fuel.
If you were writing a movie you would develop the oil company conspiracies that would promote this. The EPA could be the hero that exposes this nonsense. That would be a good fiction movie.
Here in real life it's just a stupid answer to the problem. Like answering 5 to a 2+2 equation, yes it's a answer, but it is wrong.

That is all emissions. You need that black/gray haze to have any throttle response. In today's world that's a no-no, must have clear exhaust. How to do that? Simple add fuel after the turbo to superheat and light off the filter to maintain clear exhaust.

I remember when DEF systems first hit the Fords there were some very unhappy customers. Now that emissions stuff has made it to off-road equipment with the Tier 4 engines, which I think is 20hp and up, I've heard stories about how new(er) tractors won't cut off until they run through a cycle every so often which can take 15 minutes. Over the life of the equipment that could add up to some significant idle time/fuel burn.

No.
No no no No NO!!! I wouldn't go diesel for the same reason I won't go full on electric conversion. That would kill the nature & vibe I'm going for in my ride. I've wanted a Musclecar Makeover for my Newport, and I think I've accomplished that. The Stage Two "Purple Cam" I installed, along with the headers, glass packs & 4" side tips provides that Musclecar sound I wanted; the lopey idle, the throaty raspy exhaust note at speed, folks 2 blocks away mistake it for a big block Charger or a Roadrunner. That's what I was going for from the very beginning. Not to mention the hundreds of $'s spent on chrome, polish & dress items under the hood to make it look like it was pulled out of the pages of a hot rod magazine.
148449805_10158996148939894_2903248319322807204_n.jpg

Diesels don't sound right as a Musclecar. They have a destinctive clatter. They stink. And the hard running, fast diesels belch out thick black clouds of smoke like a coal fired powerplant. True, they may burn the Bridgestones bald and yank the front tires up into the air, but I don't want to yank out 8 grand worth of motivation just to start all over again. Not to mention that diesels are outrageously expensive just to maintain. Back in '99 I drove tow trucks, had a Ford Powerstroke that needed a new fuel pump, TWO GRAND JUST FOR PARTS! Awe hell naw! F*** that dumb s***! Not for me.

A hybrid conversion makes much more sense, is more cost efficient and would preserve the car's identity and nature if installed within the brakes/wheel or rear axle, not to mention be more stealth.

Diesel is off the table.

they run through a cycle every so often which can take 15 minutes. Over the life of the equipment that could add up to some significant idle time/fuel burn
The amount of fuel that is wasted on Regen cycles per week on all the trucks in North America (I'm talking added fuel to burn off accumulated soot in DPF and the over 1100 rpm idle Regen while sitting still) would probably fuel my truck for a few years.

I remember when DEF systems first hit the Fords there were some very unhappy customers. Now that emissions stuff has made it to off-road equipment with the Tier 4 engines, which I think is 20hp and up, I've heard stories about how new(er) tractors won't cut off until they run through a cycle every so often which can take 15 minutes. Over the life of the equipment that could add up to some significant idle time/fuel burn.
Off highway equipment, any thing over 25 HP requires extra emissions requirements. Some use a DPF ( Diesel Particulate Filter) which requires the burn off which can increase run time. Some engines can use a DOC (Diesel Oxidation Catalyst)instead of a DPF, which does not require the additional burning or engine run time.
Then when you get above 75 HP then you need to add the DEF (AddBlue) fluid adding more challenges.

I think we all know the government and the crony big corporations will be pushing this **** hard over the next few years. But I'm sure the politicians have ZERO financial interest in pushing this ****.

I'm kind of confused by that train article. Is it just a next gen diesel (fuel)/electric locomotive or are they saying it will be an all-electric unit which will require supplying power to the locomotive? According to the internet we have 160,000+ miles of rail road. That's a lot of power lines to run.

I'm kind of confused by that train article. Is it just a next gen diesel (fuel)/electric locomotive or are they saying it will be an all-electric unit which will require supplying power to the locomotive? According to the internet we have 160,000+ miles of rail road. That's a lot of power lines to run.
All electric, 20 racks of 20,000 cell battery packs. Quick search shows it will be used in a hybrid consist with diesel/electric units to save 10-15% in fuel and emissions. A start that will continue to develop, thanks to the C.A.R.B. and the money they will be granting.

Last edited:
Back