An Exhausting subject-Let's see your cars set up

'69FuryIIIConvertible

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
I know you thought we all had covered this enough, but I still can't decide exactly how I want to route my system, I'm going to be using OE Style "Hemi Dent" mufflers and would like my system to look and sound stock......

Since I bought a TIG welder recently, I've also been debating stainless versus aluminized steel...

Nick

Aluminized steel lasts a long time, but stainless is forever. With stainless though to get a great weld I have seen lots of videos where guy's will back purge the pipe while welding. Without the purge, the inside of the pipe can get nasty I guess.

I know you thought we all had covered this enough, but I still can't decide exactly how I want to route my system, I'm going to be using OE Style "Hemi Dent" mufflers and would like my system to look and sound stock......

Since I bought a TIG welder recently, I've also been debating stainless versus aluminized steel...

Nick

Nick: If yer gonna fabricate the system yourself, then definitely go with stainless and stock routing. This is a piece of cake for someone with your skills.

Aluminized steel lasts a long time, but stainless is forever. With stainless though to get a great weld I have seen lots of videos where guy's will back purge the pipe while welding. Without the purge, the inside of the pipe can get nasty I guess.

The stainless sugars on the backside without the purging. Technically any tubing should be purged. But hey I didn't do it when I welded mine up either. So there's that.

I just want to put in a "Thumbs Up" for the title of this post. It's clever and immediately informative regarding the subject matter at hand, unlike the stupid posts that say "Need Help".

While your fabricating add a H pipe. Really quieted my >35mph drone

Since I bought a TIG welder recently,

My two cents: weld seams are prone to rust, so clamps would be the better way to build an exhaust system. The pic below does have the focus on the muffler, but you can see some weld seams as well.

Impster II 020.jpg

The routing of these pipes is not 1:1 with the factory and the Dynomax Super Turbos this short (#17733, 14`` body) are for the ``young at heart`` or a young guy.

Last edited:
my '69 newport. exhaust bent by yours truly circa 1987.
exhaust 002.JPG
how to cheat on over the axles
exhaust 004.JPG
slip fit at crossmember
exhaust 008.JPG
hooks
exhaust 005.JPG
mufflers
exhaust 006.JPG
part #
exhaust 007.JPG
3 inch in and out offset/center bushed down to 2.5. year old but little road time. good exhaust isn't easy to bend. some have a knack for it. some don't. if you have experience with it, then you know.

I haven't seen it yet and have to get on the hoist to get some pic's, but I sent my Father in Law to a guy to get new exhaust bent up for the 65. I will get it lifted and get some pic's.

Back