Another 1965 New Yorker New Guy

sorry for my late response..

My AC was dead so I didnt have a problem pulling it. I drove a wrangler for many years without AC, I got used to driving without it.. Its sweaty but who cares..

So lets see..
Its not that bad to pull it, there is alot of stuff there though. Probably took an hour to take it all off.. the AC bracket mounts through bolts in the intake manifold, so you'll need shorter bolts once you pull off that mount. Also my carb return spring bracket was on that AC bracket too, youll need a spacer to get that back up to where it needs to be. I'll try to get a newer pic and post it.

I have my heater core and everything else blocked off, I just run a hose from outlet to inlet on the motor, the heater core is wasted right now too. Last owner drove in the winters for 5 years, I dont think he checked the antifreeze level and it froze up... go figure. Otherwise you could probably just plug that stuff off with simple plumbing caps.. ?? dunno. I havent been under the dash yet, Im kind of saving that for when I pull the seats to put in new carpet..

I had to get a new bracket for the alternator and a new fan belt, dont go by what the stock belt for your motor without AC would take, just measure it and then find a belt, set the alternator at half travel then I used my old AC belt, wraped it around and then just cut off the extra with about an inch of play, take that to an autoparts store and they can find you a belt... I got the AC bracket from http://www.manciniracing.com/
getting the alternator to fit right takes some work... Mine probably would have worked just fin if the pulley had been flipped around, but I couldnt find any info on doing that, so I just changed how it mounts a bit.. A few extra spacers and a grinding wheel and some longer bolts than came with the kit and it works great.

also there seems to be something about the power steering bracket and how it fit with AC that preventing it from moving, it seems to work fine, but I get a bit of squeal now and then so I'll need to fab a bracket to lock that down.

Im glad I pulled it, the engine looks much better without all that junk.

I went dual MC in my 65 Dart, just like the drawing 300rag shows. I haven't done so in my 65 Newport, but hope to before I go back to driving it. If like my Dart (I think), There is a big 1/4" tube off the single pot MC. Since most dual MC's have 3/16" tubes, you need a 1/4" male to 3/16" female dbl flare adapter at the T port, which you can find in the bubble pack brake fittings at Autozone, along with the plug and 3/16" coupler. In my Dart, I used an MC w/ booster from a 90's Breeze, but that is on standoff brackets so easy to adapt. In C-bodies, the booster bolts straight to the firewall via a flat plate, so hard to fit another booster without drilling holes. If your booster is OK, you can simply bolt up any dual MC from 68+ Mopar w/ 4 holes (all are iron). I think all aluminum MC's are 2-hole (all the same bolt pattern).

Removing the big RV-2 Mopar compressor was probably smart. You still have the condenser and under-dash parts, which is the main difficulty in installing AC. I think you can buy new brackets to mount a small, efficient Sanden compressor to your RB engine. My Newport has aftermarket (dealer-added?) AC, w/ an aluminum York compressor on a custom bracket. It is much lighter than the RV-2 and easy to get since used on Fords for years, still I dream of a Sanden. They make a York/Tecumseh to Sanden adapter, but clumsy and heavy.

Your pulley problems are typical. I dealt with that on my Dart 273 engine when I changed to the later water pump which is thicker. It seems there are many combinations of pulleys, depending on AC, pwr steering, crank dampener (thickness varied), etc. You have to mix/match to get something that works. Some people try to get a matched set off another car. I have read that V-belt pulleys need to align within 1/8", which is more forgiving than today's flat serpentine belts. The alternator is usually easy to adjust with spacers (Ace Hardware has chrome ones in various widths). If stuck, look for rehrenburg on ebay (of Mopar Action), who sells spacers for the water pump pulley and maybe the crank pulley.

Last edited:
Im afraid to look under my dash at the moment, I get some water that is leaking under there when it rains, I assume the vents are open or something, the water leaks onto my feet. I thought it was windshield gasket for a bit, but I dont think thats the . but am worried there are worse issues.. but yeah, I will probably keep things stock there if I can, just in case someone wants to add AC later..

thanks for the info about the brake lines.. My booster is new, and the brakes on this car are so darn strong, It took a while to get used to them for sure.. But yeah I want to move to a dual master..

1/8" huh? thats not as bad as I thought. I used to have a 73 delta 88 that would toss alternator belts all the damn time. (until I put it in a ditch).. I always assumed it was because the alternator was off by just a bit so I played around with spacers on this car until I made sure this one was aligned. And yeah I got my spacers from ACE.. In fact now I have a nice collection of spacers :)

I decided to join today and share some pics of my 65 Chrysler New Yorker after seeing someone else post one up. Been lurking a bit here and there, figure its time join in... Its got the 413 too... 727 torqueflight, center console (not many had that), edelbrock carb, Just removed all the A/C junk, it was cheaper than rebuilding it. Plus I added valve covers, degreased and painted the motor etc and all that junk was in the way.

1.jpg

The door panels were wasted due to water coming in.. so I had to fab my own.. yeah thats a casket handle

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

Do you sell some A/C parts? I need the part/line that goes from the compressor to the firewall.
Thanks, Martyx

I decided to join today and share some pics of my 65 Chrysler New Yorker after seeing someone else post one up. Been lurking a bit here and there, figure its time join in... Its got the 413 too... 727 torqueflight, center console (not many had that), edelbrock carb, Just removed all the A/C junk, it was cheaper than rebuilding it. Plus I added valve covers, degreased and painted the motor etc and all that junk was in the way.

1.jpg

The door panels were wasted due to water coming in.. so I had to fab my own.. yeah thats a casket handle

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

Hi, do you want to sell an A/C part to me? I need the hose/line that goes from the compressor to the firewall. Thanks, Martyx

I dont believe that to be true. However I have never been to Houston, but I have heard that nothing beats North East heat

I love heat combined with humidity. I was a roofer in FLA from age 19 through 26 or so & absolutely loved every minute of it. I love to sweat. It's very cleansing.

I lived outdoors around the world from 21 until I was 41...it didn't matter to me.

I'm 58 now.....it's not so pleasant anymore.

I'm no longer a big fan of extreme heat and humidity unless I'm on a beach somewhere.

Back