Another power steering question...

roelb

Reaction score
The solid pulley on my '66 Fury is bent beyond repair and I cannot find another here in South Africa.
It is roughly 5'' across. I have however another Chrysler pump with a solid 7'' pulley that I can fit.
Will this cause any problems apart from maybe it bit more firmer steering? Groove etc all the same.
Thanks

Not "firmer" per se, but less boosted. Are the pumps physically the same? With the larger pulley, you'll need a longer belt to run it, if that matters.

The solid pulley on my '66 Fury is bent beyond repair and I cannot find another here in South Africa.
It is roughly 5'' across. I have however another Chrysler pump with a solid 7'' pulley that I can fit.
Will this cause any problems apart from maybe it bit more firmer steering? Groove etc all the same.
Thanks
Hard to say if it will fit or not. If the pumps are identical, then yes it will fit, but to achieve a lower pressure for firmer steering, that's not probably not going to happen. The pump pressure is regulated within the pump and not really by the speed of the pump.

IMHO, I'd find the right pulley and work from there.

Thanks for the comments. Longer fan belt no problem.
I am happy with the way the steering was before the damage occurred.I was just thinking re the effect of a 2'' larger pulley.
Will have large pulley off Monday, if it does not fit I'll have to get one made here out of billet.
Thanks

It really is badly bent. I have a Mopar friend that had the pulley on a working bench, and at speed there is a wobble.
My fault, after hand operations I don't have fine motor feeling left, I dropped the pump on a tile floor while cleaning it

Back