Any crossover folks who follow F*rd Panthers?

You have yourself a keeper, John. Trust me.
Ever thought of giving it a little Marauder treatment? Tastefully, of course.

At the end of the Marquis run, my local dealer was blowing out new ones at 20k.
:BangHead:

Dude they're freakin everywhere down here, condo cars. All the old crusties love those cars. Once you get the old people smell out of em you generally a nice quality low milage car.

I'd have to go with a Maurauder. You don't see too many around and as I have stated in previous posts I have always had a soft spot for Mercurys.

I'd have to go with a Maurauder. You don't see too many around and as I have stated in previous posts I have always had a soft spot for Mercurys.
I'll agree except that Maurader sellers want an exorbitant premium for their cars and their exclusivity means nothing when everybody says, Hey, nice Vic.

I'll agree except that Maurader sellers want an exorbitant premium for their cars and their exclusivity means nothing when everybody says, Hey, nice Vic.

I kind of equate the Maurader to the Hurst 300. Not worth the $$ that some think they are. The one I passed up was priced correctly though. More than a plain Jane Crown Crown Vic, and towards the high side of book for condition (it was almost spotless), but it was priced to sell and it did.

But, as you say, they appear to the untrained eye as just a nice Crown Vic.

They are beautiful as-is but I would absolutely have to pop for a set of cop steelies.
Funny you say that.... Some of the A12 Roadrunner/Super Bee guys have used Crown Vic spare wheels because they look very close to an original "H" code wheel.

DSC01716_Medium.jpg

Real H code wheel

IMG_3143.jpg

You have to know there was a proposal somewhere within FoMoCo to tweak these if they hadn't fallen victim to millenial group-think. What would you give to see those stillborn plans?

You have to know there was a proposal somewhere within FoMoCo to tweak these if they hadn't fallen victim to millenial group-think. What would you give to see those stillborn plans?
I'm looking for the 6-speed Charger mock up left collecting dust stored way in back and forgotten.

I'm looking for the 6-speed Charger mock up left collecting dust stored way in back and forgotten.

That's so close to production it's not even worth wondering about. It would be easier than installing a 4 speed in a formal.

What I want to know is what they had in mind for styling and powertrain updates. I know through Panther osmosis, (my Ford engineer friend is also a Panther lover) that the worst part of the GMQ/Marauder was the inefficient trans, supposedly there were plans to resolve this with the Lincoln Aviator drivetrain, but it never happened.

BTW, you should have taken Bondurant training with me. They had a few Panther 5 (or six?) speeds.

Dear Panther/modular-motor forumz,

I heard tell that my V10 no-cold-crank issue could be internal starter wire corrosion. Whatchu think 'bout dat?
VD...

No... voltage drop... not that VD...

I have a 2010 Mercury Marquis. Love the car.

View attachment 214567
Love it... leave it as she is... and IMO you're better off than the Navigator transplant...

I seriously considered finding a used one too, several years ago... bought the beater P/U instead, as I had a use for it. A bargain, private owner GM or TC would be a great car to run for the next decade or so... easy to fix and lots of cheap parts. The standard 2valve 4.6 is no slouch and has fair fuel efficiency... and doesn't cost much to repair.

My overall vehicle expense for the 'burb would surprise most folks who don't understand... Under $4k purchase price, 3 sets of Michelins, a few basic services (tune ups, for lack of a better term), a couple brake jobs and a decade later... my only failures have been a fuel pump, a water pump and a heater core.

A nice Panther would likely provide similar service and ROI...

Love it... leave it as she is... and IMO you're better off than the Navigator transplant...

I seriously considered finding a used one too, several years ago... bought the beater P/U instead, as I had a use for it. A bargain, private owner GM or TC would be a great car to run for the next decade or so... easy to fix and lots of cheap parts. The standard 2valve 4.6 is no slouch and has fair fuel efficiency... and doesn't cost much to repair.

My overall vehicle expense for the 'burb would surprise most folks who don't understand... Under $4k purchase price, 3 sets of Michelins, a few basic services (tune ups, for lack of a better term), a couple brake jobs and a decade later... my only failures have been a fuel pump, a water pump and a heater core.

A nice Panther would likely provide similar service and ROI...

Hmmm...we got 300k on our ‘01 Tahoe...did need a water pump, a fuel pump...but the heater core held up fine.

The only unexpected problem was the ABS solenoid pack. That was too hard for me to fix.

I did resolder the instrument cluster so the odometer worked again.

Gotta love YouTube.

Back