Any opinion on whitewall versus blackwall

62newportnewbie

Reaction score
on this car with these hub caps?

Opinions welcome as i am conflicted...

Yes, that is black spray paint over the whitewall on the front... tire is ng anyway..

WIN_20220407_08_01_23_Pro.jpg

WIN_20220407_08_02_15_Pro.jpg

All personal preference.

I don't care for white letter tires, yet some guys love them. Same for whitewalls. I think that with a stock wheel cover, the white wall looks good, but put a tire on any other wheel, including a road wheel and the white walls don't look right to me.

So... What looks good to you? If it were mine, white car with full wheel covers... It would get whitewalls.

All personal preference.

I don't care for white letter tires, yet some guys love them. Same for whitewalls. I think that with a stock wheel cover, the white wall looks good, but put a tire on any other wheel, including a road wheel and the white walls don't look right to me.

So... What looks good to you? If it were mine, white car with full wheel covers... It would get whitewalls.
Hey Big John -- thank you for the transmission advice on tightening the screw on the valve body! I did that, and adjusted the kickdown and i went from the pushbutton trans not going into gear, and no 3rd gear shift, to a perfectly functioning pushbutton, and a nicely shifting transmission in all 3 gears... wow.

I had no idea the kickdown was so crucial on these cars... so different from GM cars i have been used to. It did not even matter if the kickdown was hooked up on those...

Thank you again

Hey Big John -- thank you for the transmission advice on tightening the screw on the valve body! I did that, and adjusted the kickdown and i went from the pushbutton trans not going into gear, and no 3rd gear shift, to a perfectly functioning pushbutton, and a nicely shifting transmission in all 3 gears... wow.

I had no idea the kickdown was so crucial on these cars... so different from GM cars i have been used to. It did not even matter if the kickdown was hooked up on those...

Thank you again
Every once in a while, I get something right.

I like the whitewalls on your car with the full hubcaps. With body color rims and dog dish I would go with blackwalls. Road wheels I could see both the whitewalls and blackwalls working.

I thinki those narrow white walls look really good with the full wheel covers. I also do not like raised white letters, they seem to say "look at the letters" not, "look at these wheels" I just received my new Nexen N Priz tires yesterday and mounted them up, really happy with the results. AH5 235 R15 109S XL WW. Really hard to find here in Canuck land though! CamShaft

IMG_1287[1].JPG

Whitewalls with full wheelcovers, blackwalls with dog dishes hubcaps. Just my preference - and to detail it further:
Earlier than 1960 and the whitewalls should be 3 inch wide whites. 60-62, a bit narrower, and 63 and up narrow.
Some sport wheels do well with narrow white walls, like Magnum 500s on 65-68 C bodies, but after that the 69-73 C bodies deserve nice subtle raised white letter tires - IE Polyglas style.

Again, as @Big_John says, it's all personal preference.

I would go with white walls out. I like the old classic look. I have them out on my Sea Body with Road wheels.

20200312_172257.jpg

20200312_172235.jpg

White wall. I purchased a set of the Nexen AH5 white walls. Nice tire, I haven't done a road test to give full feed back because we are still shedding winter here. Good price as well as correct weight rating for our big cars.

Last edited:
Whitewalls with full wheel covers or road wheels. Black side wall with dog dish caps. Magnum 500 wheels look good with white, black or raised white letter side walls. Just my opinion.
P_20180718_210346_LL (1).jpg

Ordered a set of Hankook Kinergy 215/75/14 off tire rack

White Walls , they had 7 left so figured i should grab 4 of them if i wanted a set.

Thank you all for Photos and opinions, The more i looked at my own pictures, it became clear the white wall was correct, or maybe you all brainwashed me idk ha

Thank you all again for your time, opinions, and photos- awesome cars you all have.

Chryslers, being an upscale brand of car, should have whitewalls on it, no matter what. Back then, blackwalls screamed "cheapskate" (or "financially overextended") very loudly, no matter what. Whitewalls with stock black wheels and factory hub caps was a clean look back then, too, no matter the brand. So whitewalls is my vote.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

Back