Anyone here have dual quads on a 383 Commando?

GG-1

Reaction score
Well, do ya? We all know about the historical and aesthetic appeal, but does this set-up really produce more power--based on YOUR experience?

chrysler 383 with 2x4 barrel carbs? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

IMG_9802.JPG

Last edited:
Ram Induction on my 66 Newport 383 and working on a dual quad 383 for my 64 Newport (factory cast iron intake)

20180505_092003.jpg

20180112_095852.jpg

Another of my stupid questions, does ethanol wreak havoc with cross-ram, or dual carbs?

Another of my stupid questions, does ethanol wreak havoc with cross-ram, or dual carbs?
Just with carbs in general.
I had a brand new 1406 carb on a car that sat a little over 6 moths.
It would not idle, took it apart and there was enough build up to plug things up.
Non ethanol gas is cheap insurance.

I use premium non ethanol fuel in all my small engines, motorcycles and vintage cars. My '97 pickup and '16 Kia are allowed to drink ethanol.

Just with carbs in general.
I had a brand new 1406 carb on a car that sat a little over 6 moths.
It would not idle, took it apart and there was enough build up to plug things up.
Non ethanol gas is cheap insurance.

If your carb looked bad, I can only guess what your gas tank might be looking like. You can't leave ethanol gas in your car for 6 months and expect it to be good. It deteriorates - turns yellow and smells bad, let alone won't fire your engine too well. It will absorb moisture from the air just sitting and it is this moisture that does most of the damage. It is recommended that you use up the tank of ethanol blended gas within 2-3 weeks to minimize any problems. Ethanol gas is hygroscopic (will absorb water) and can absorb 50 more times water than non-ethanol gas. " E10 Gas has a shelf life of only 3 months. Ethanol alcohol fuel blends have a shelf life of only 90-100 days, under ideal environmental conditions. When exposed to water, E10 gas will contaminate and should be discarded.

It will also deteriorate the older rubber hose used in your fuel line, the rubber diaphragm in your fuel pump, and the needle in the needle/seat assembly in your carb. These can and should all be replaced with ethanol friendly parts so as not to break down, or worse, experience a leak or flooding carb and your car catches fire.

I like to add Stabil360 to the ethanol gas I use in my older car IF I don't use the ethanol free stuff. It does work and does make a difference - in my opinion. Never had any problems, but I don't let ethanol gas sit in my carb/tank for 6 months either.

If your carb looked bad, I can only guess what your gas tank might be looking like. You can't leave ethanol gas in your car for 6 months and expect it to be good. It deteriorates - turns yellow and smells bad, let alone won't fire your engine too well. It will absorb moisture from the air just sitting and it is this moisture that does most of the damage. It is recommended that you use up the tank of ethanol blended gas within 2-3 weeks to minimize any problems. Ethanol gas is hygroscopic (will absorb water) and can absorb 50 more times water than non-ethanol gas. " E10 Gas has a shelf life of only 3 months. Ethanol alcohol fuel blends have a shelf life of only 90-100 days, under ideal environmental conditions. When exposed to water, E10 gas will contaminate and should be discarded.

It will also deteriorate the older rubber hose used in your fuel line, the rubber diaphragm in your fuel pump, and the needle in the needle/seat assembly in your carb. These can and should all be replaced with ethanol friendly parts so as not to break down, or worse, experience a leak or flooding carb and your car catches fire.

I like to add Stabil360 to the ethanol gas I use in my older car IF I don't use the ethanol free stuff. It does work and does make a difference - in my opinion. Never had any problems, but I don't let ethanol gas sit in my carb/tank for 6 months either.

Yes to all the above. Sometimes life gets in the way. My Dad got sick, and he was my first priority till he passed.
Even knowing it was not good to let sit, the damage it done on a new carb was surprising. I just assumed a new Edelbrcok carb would be more ethanol friendly.
I think it was Stan? who recommended using 2 stroke oil a couple years back. I have done that with my old stuff since then, no problems so far.

Yes to all the above. Sometimes life gets in the way. My Dad got sick, and he was my first priority till he passed.
Even knowing it was not good to let sit, the damage it done on a new carb was surprising. I just assumed a new Edelbrcok carb would be more ethanol friendly.
I think it was Stan? who recommended using 2 stroke oil a couple years back. I have done that with my old stuff since then, no problems so far.

I had read that some of the newer aftermarket carbs are now using a different alloy to combat the deterioration from the ethanol. I had a 1997 Toyota I ran for many years & miles and used the Stabil360 in it religiously. If I did not, I could tell right away as it ran balky and not as smooth. Too easy to get a slug of water in the gas as you don't really know how well the inground tanks are maintained & cleaned. They had a big piece on the local news about this when a woman did a lot of damage to her engine and it was traced to a convenience store whom they closed the pumps down on after finding a lot more water in the gas than allowable. I never get gas when I see a tanker pumping into the tanks - stirring up all that crud & water - and I go to a place that has a lot of business so I know the gas runs through it quickly rather than sit long.

Used to.... sold the car. It was a 77 Cordoba (400 4bbl lean burn) in which I'd installed a '67 383 with an old cast iron 2x4 setup. And from what I've seen, ethanol doesn't corrode carburetors/fuel systems.... it just soaks up water where available & water does the damage. Now methanol on the other hand (e.g. top alcohol cars) can be pretty corrosive (& soaks up water too)

Back