Anyone here own a Jukebox?

Very nice thanks for sharing #haywire 440
I am about finished for my jukebox tinkering season. I had a good winter and spring, I got 3 working pretty well in my shop and started in on the cosmetics of 2 of them.

A late spring task was to hook up a Seeburg wallbox to my Wurlitzer 3760 which was the first jukebox I bought. It turns 50 this year, so I wanted to do a few extra items. I also restored the lower panel, which I just discovered also had lower accent lights. I never even realized that they existed because all the bulbs where burnt out.

On hooking up the wallbox I went through the stepper in the jukebox. I cleaned and freed everything up. The letter selection was froze up, but fortunately nothing was broken. Then I did the same with the wallbox. The motor was hanging up on occasion but after a cleaning and lube it has worked perfectly.

I feel like I have a pretty unique set up. In 1969 Seeburg went to their Digital jukebox, which had a basic computer for music selection. In the same year Wurlitzer introduced a 80 record 160 play jukebox, they were known beforehand for 100 and 200 play jukeboxes. Now with the 160 play model they could play the 160 play mechanical walboxes, which were now obsolete with the new digital Seeburg.

Unfortunately for Wurlitzer this didn't save them from going out of business. 6 years later they made their last jukebox in 1974, mine in the picture is a 1973. 5 years after that Seeburg went out of business too. They were bought out and 2 more versions of their last model followed, but then that company closed their jukebox division, when CDs started catching on.

20230309_082236.jpg
20230429_154311.jpg
20230428_230417.jpg

20230509_174701.jpg

Last edited:
Well I was playing J8, E7 and E2- Polk Salad Anne, enjoying the good music yesterday in the Taj Garage when suddenly the sound volume dropped rapidly. While approaching the Starlit 429 the smell of a burnt transformer was strong. The Rockola was switched off and because of being in the middle of another task it sat to cool down.

I guess investigating right away would have helped pinpointed the problem but pretty certain it’s in the amplifier bank. I wonder if the tubes would have the same smell if they went bad?

I’m already looking in the service manual.

The “jimmied” volume control may have contributed to this issue and that resistor still needs replacing that is connected to the “write-in” circuit.

I reckon I put the horse before the cart. Darn.

Very nice thanks for sharing #haywire 440
I am about finished for my jukebox tinkering season. I had a good winter and spring, I got 3 working pretty well in my shop and started in on the cosmetics of 2 of them.

A late spring task was to hook up a Seeburg wallbox to my Wurlitzer 3760 which was the first jukebox I bought. It turns 50 this year, so I wanted to do a few extra items. I also restored the lower panel, which I just discovered also had lower accent lights. I never even realized that they existed because all the bulbs where burnt out.

On hooking up the wallbox I went through the stepper in the jukebox. I cleaned and freed everything up. The letter selection was froze up, but fortunately nothing was broken. Then I did the same with the wallbox. The motor was hanging up on occasion but after a cleaning and lube it has worked perfectly.

I feel like I have a pretty unique set up. In 1969 Seeburg went to their Digital jukebox, which had a basic computer for music selection. In the same year Wurlitzer introduced a 80 record 160 play jukebox, they were known beforehand for 100 and 200 play jukeboxes. Now with the 160 play model they could play the 160 play mechanical walboxes, which were now obsolete with the new digital Seeburg.

Unfortunately for Wurlitzer this didn't save them from going out of business. 6 years later they made their last jukebox in 1974, mine in the picture is a 1973. 5 years after that Seeburg went out of business too. They were bought out and 2 more versions of their last model followed, but then that company closed their jukebox division, when CDs started catching on.

View attachment 595775View attachment 595776View attachment 595777

View attachment 595778

Nice stuff @Zymurgy.

A friend in California recently sent me a video of a wall/booth model that was converted to modern insides with blue tooth. I couldn’t find his photos.

Interesting history of the companies.

Well I was playing J8, E7 and E2- Polk Salad Anne, enjoying the good music yesterday in the Taj Garage when suddenly the sound volume dropped rapidly. While approaching the Starlit 429 the smell of a burnt transformer was strong. The Rockola was switched off and because of being in the middle of another task it sat to cool down.

I guess investigating right away would have helped pinpointed the problem but pretty certain it’s in the amplifier bank. I wonder if the tubes would have the same smell if they went bad?

I’m already looking in the service manual.

The “jimmied” volume control may have contributed to this issue and that resistor still needs replacing that is connected to the “write-in” circuit.

I reckon I put the horse before the cart. Darn.
That doesn't sound good. Sorry I can't help.

There are some really great jukebox groups of FB and a ton on knowledge from old service guys. I am very active on the Wurlitzer and Seeburg groups. I do belong to the Rockola group it is quite active, but I have yet to buy a Rockola.

That doesn't sound good. Sorry I can't help.

There are some really great jukebox groups of FB and a ton on knowledge from old service guys. I am very active on the Wurlitzer and Seeburg groups. I do belong to the Rockola group it is quite active, but I have yet to buy a Rockola.
Yes, I remember you mentioning the fb groups and will seek them out, not currently on fb.

But in my new home town I did network a local fellow who collected a restored some. I need to make an initial contact. “I know a guy”…… always my favorite Chicago saying.

Also found Jukebox Addicts on line. I see a lot of “Read your manual”. I’m getting there!

Yes, I remember you mentioning the fb groups and will seek them out, not currently on fb.

But in my new home town I did network a local fellow who collected a restored some. I need to make an initial contact. “I know a guy”…… always my favorite Chicago saying.

Also found Jukebox Addicts on line. I see a lot of “Read your manual”. I’m getting there!
The Jukebox Addicts has a lot of good information but Ron Rich who ran the site passed away about a year ago. He was an amazing mind especially with Seeburg. He definitely liked to say read your manual.

Having a manual to familiarize with how the jukebox runs is a must, but don't count on them for troubleshooting answers. Most of what we run into is because the jukebox is 50 years old and rarely will our issues be discussed in the manual.

I may have bought 1 or 2 more. This is a Seeburg Firestar. I have basically wanted one ever since I saw it for the first time. It is super clean and cosmetically in very good shape for a 52 year old jukebox. The first pictures of it lit up.

The power supply is getting re-capped before I try anything else. These have some very sensitive electronics, if the voltage is wrong you can fry some otherwise very dependable components.

FB_IMG_1687905060020.jpg
FB_IMG_1687905068789.jpg
FB_IMG_1687905075807.jpg

Last edited:
I may have bought 1 or 2 more. This is a Seeburg Firestar. I have basically wanted one ever since I saw it for the first time. It is super clean and cosmetically in very good shape for a 52 year old jukebox. I got is lit up first.

The power supply is getting re-capped before I try anything else. These have some very sensitive electronics, if the voltage is wrong you can fry some otherwise very dependable components.

View attachment 603700View attachment 603701View attachment 603702

WOW! Does the machine use 45s or. . .?

Here is my bonus jukebox from the same guy. It is call a Matador and is 50 years old. Not nearly the condition of the previous box, and smells like a big ash tray. It has good bones though and I like the 70s vibe. I don't ever see many of these pop up for sale.

Found a bad splice job and got the lights all working. Fortunately only found one other amateur electrical repair so I believe the rest is unmolested.

20230701_120043.jpg
20230701_120051.jpg
20230701_120104.jpg

Back