Anyone install headers on a 71 ?

elmo153

Reaction score
Trying to fit a new pair of Hedman headers on my 71 New Yorker coupe. I know, I know, Why ? I'm making a fat mans muscle car, stay tuned. I disconnected both motor mounts and raised the motor 3-4 inches and still can't get them in. Do I have to remove the torsion bars!? Any info or pics would be helpful. Had an easier time fitting headers on my B body . I thought, bigger car, more room, slide right in, but noooo!

The starter needs to be removed. The shift linkage needs to be modified to clear the header on the drivers side. The passenger side might not fit at all without some major modifications to the header. The best thing to do would be to get a set of TTIs.

When I installed them on a 71 polara (Hooker headers) my hood was off. As I recall I may have had to shift the engine side to side a bit to get them in. No modification was required.

Install the small starter and a heat shield if possible. It will help you down the road.

Have you tried installing them from above? With the engine jacked, you should be able to. I've done B-bodies like that.

I've never considered doing them from bottom up....really? They do bottom up?

Some bottom up are easyer....may need lift...also found alum collector gaskets work best with my super comps and use copper gaskets at head

Some are easier from the top, some from the bottom. I had one that had one of each.

Back