anyone rebuild a 4 gang window switch?

Northcoast300h

Reaction score
Switch for 1970 300 drivers side window broke years ago and steadily became worse and worse. It feels flimsy. Like a spring broke. Window still goes down but I have to play with it about 20 times until I find the connection point. Anyhow, the other 3 work fine. Years ago, I soldered the connections and screwed the switch to the switch frame so it wouldn't come loose. Worked great, but now I'm wondering if I can rebuild the switch. I have another crappy switch that I can get parts from.

I'm better at tearing things apart than putting them back together again, but at $200 for a new one, I'd like to try to rebuild what I got. Anyone know the worst thing about rebuilding these or how to make them better? (pic not mine). Those tiny parts intimidate me.
s-l1600.jpg

Power window switches are the bane of my existence. I only know of a couple of guys who rebuild these and one or both are members here. I finally had enough of stuttering windows and shipped my entire set off to Devin last week. I am ok with the price of the rebuild he quoted as this is a specialty business and he has earned his reputation. Have you looked at the price of these switches on Ebay lately? Big money and "untested", "no returns" etc etc. Just make sure that your switches are really nice on the outside, so that there is value in rebuilding the inside.
My motto is to do it once properly and it's done with. (By the way, that is his pic, I believe! LOL) CamShaft

I do rebuild power window switches, but I have only experience in the Forward Look era ones (1957-1959). Additionnally, I reproduce plastic connectors for the 1957-1964 power window switches.

(Seems like there used to be a guy "out west" that did rebuilds, but his residence and shop got destroyed in one of the CA forest fires about four years ago?)

When "the action" of that particular switch and the button starts to droop downward, the switch's time is limited. Later models (as in Formals) will plug in and work fine, just that the buttons are concave rather than convex. Even a Chrysler part number change to the later switch, too, IIRC.

(Seems like there used to be a guy "out west" that did rebuilds, but his residence and shop got destroyed in one of the CA forest fires about four years ago?)

When "the action" of that particular switch and the button starts to droop downward, the switch's time is limited. Later models (as in Formals) will plug in and work fine, just that the buttons are concave rather than convex. Even a Chrysler part number change to the later switch, too, IIRC.
That is @Devinism . He has resurrected his business in a new location, and deserves our patronage.

I did rebuild mine from a 68' 300. I went to a local wire manufacturer and purchased 25% thicker wire for rebound under the switch. The drivers switch was limp, as were the others but not as bad. Gave it a nice firm reflect back to center. Something to consider.

I did rebuild mine from a 68' 300. I went to a local wire manufacturer and purchased 25% thicker wire for rebound under the switch. The drivers switch was limp, as were the others but not as bad. Gave it a nice firm reflect back to center. Something to consider.
I didn't know these have wire inside. Since only driver side switch isn't working, I'm going to try to rebuild it myself. Do these springs fly off never to be seen again when disassembling?

I'm just not good at rebuilding electrical. 90% of time, I destroy it or it just doesn't work. So I'm leaning towards spending the $200 for a new one or maybe Devinism to rebuild depending on price.

Anyone know where I can get a new or professionally rebuilt 4 gang window switch for under $200? (not used)

Thanks for everyones info so far!

They do occasionally come up on E bay or on this forum, but in just about all cases they have not been rebuilt and are not in very good shape. That goes especially for the 4 gang switches as that is the one that has far and away the most use, especially the drivers door. If you contact Devin, he sometimes has one that he has bought and refurbished for sale at that moment, but I think it will be over that price. He just finished mine for a 67 which are the toggle type switches and they are perfect. Maybe he has some later ones as well like yours. The way I looked at it, the rebuild on the switches will only happen once and worth the $ to get it over with. especially if you are an electrical idiot like myself. Just my own opinion. CamShaft

I'm just not good at rebuilding electrical. 90% of time, I destroy it or it just doesn't work. So I'm leaning towards spending the $200 for a new one or maybe Devinism to rebuild depending on price.

Anyone know where I can get a new or professionally rebuilt 4 gang window switch for under $200? (not used)

Thanks for everyones info so far!
Devinism is by far the way to go. I have used him in the past and his quality is by far the best of any Rebuilder and of the same quality like purchasing new.

Back