Are AM/FM radios REALLY this expensive?

You could take your radio and have it updated to AM/FM with the ability to play from your iPhone etc. for less than that radio on eBay. I just had mine done....

http://garytayman.com/stereo.htm
I agree completely. These radios are a pain in the ***. I wish I would've had mine converted and will never buy another used radio again. You're better off doing what John recommends.

Could you please give a review of the service and how it works in your car?
Big John is correct I am happy with my conversion too. Excellent service. The must have options in my book, line outputs $15 and the VOX input is free is a no brainer. Don't waste a $100 on the UBS you can do nearly everything with the free input.

The only thing I am slightly disappointed in was the head unit power. When the top is down I pretty much have the volume the whole way up, but there is at least no distortion. Fortunately the line outputs are for one mono subwoofer amp (which I have already installed) and a four line amp output for the front and rear speakers. I have already bought a 4 channel amp for my front and rear speakers and plan on installing it sometime this winter.

I guess we should be thankful for the C Body discount.

Yes. Yes you should.

However, parts availability for a C body is lower than Bs. Demand is lower.
B body stuff is, relatively, available but demand drives up the price for things like the radio.

You can't find it. I can't afford it.

I had an AM converted for my Imp and I love it. The foot search tune button even still works.:thumbsup:

Not that I need another reason to find a 67 Imperial for myself, but I want a foot search tune button. How cool is that. :)

Not that I need another reason to find a 67 Imperial for myself, but I want a foot search tune button. How cool is that. :)
When I spoke to the folks at Carlisle last summer they assured me that the foot tuner in my '67 would still function after they modified it to the new components.. they quoted me around $395 for the works! Wish I didn't blow all that money on used radios.
Not to worry... I'll get it done:D

When I spoke to the folks at Carlisle last summer they assured me that the foot tuner in my '67 would still function after they modified it to the new components.. they quoted me around $395 for the works! Wish I didn't blow all that money on used radios.
Not to worry... I'll get it done:D
My 300 has the foot tuner and a conversion done a while ago. works fine!

I think a lot of Chryslers from that era were wired for the floor search tune. My '67 Imperial has it, a previous '73 Imperial had it, '76 T n C had it... you may already have wiring in your car.
Now we found out Johns 300 has it.... take a look.

From time to time I look at AM/FM radios for sale to go with a C-body (for my '67 New Yorker; which despite being L-O-A-D-E-D, only came with AM radio. You don't see them often, and here's one I came across yesterday.

Working AM/FM AM FM Radio 1967 67 1968 68 Chrysler Newport New Yorker 300 | eBay

Anyone else been through this "re-fit" exercise before; or know if this price is realistic?

I have bought from this seller before, and he doesn't pull any tricks, and when he says things are mint/NOS, they really are. Often times radios will need work before they can just go into use. Still, it seems like a WHOLE LOT of $$$ for one of these, but due to rarity, and repairs involved, it MIGHT be in the ballpark?

THANKS.
My understanding haz alwayz been that on the '68-'69 thumb wheel A.M.s-F.M.s the rare(pricy onez) where the dealer installed onez. The early onez that were installed were installed with the specific model printed in the site ie: Dodge in the charger window and so on. Their were enough customers that got their carz before the Twin Band became available that Mother came out with a generic for ALL the dealers with ah Pentastar in the window.(THE RARE ONE) I know this only because I had one of the Pentastar Thumb Wheelz at Carlisle in 2012 trying to sell it to any B-Body guy that wanted it and someone that I talked to that weekend followed me back to wher I'd parked the Batwagon and when I wasn't looking they traded their Plymouth Thumb Wheel for my Pentastar and I only picked up on it when I returned it to it's resting place in y stash after returning home. Good buy $600 at that time? Thank You fellow Mopar Enthusiast. I can't make this stuff up.

Going by what Murray Park told me, and the '67 Chrysler promo literature; there were two different radio options, either you got the AM/FM w/thumbwheel (in place of the standard AM), or if you opted for the search-signal/foot-switch tuner, you had the radio shown in this photo. Knobs are different, and it resembles the one in my '67 Imp. This would be a more involved swap in my New Yorker, and I'm REALLY reluctant to do anything to its pristine dash.......

Over the summer after taking delivery on it, I fitted the New Yorker with a 60's Motorola FM adapter, and added a rear speaker. Had to mount it on a floor bracket, as the dash tray (we all love so much) prevents mounting anything under the dash. Works fine, easy to reach, looks correct for the era (especially when lit up at night) and it only cost $40. Only trouble is it leaves no place for a cassette adapter, I also like to use cassettes on long drives.

I have to think on it some more as $425 (not w/installation, either) is a major investment/minor improvement proposition.

THANKS MUCH for everyone's input.

67 AM FM Search Tune.jpg

MOTOROLA FM adapter.jpg

My Monaco is am only and i can’t find a decent music station while out cruising.
Everything is relative. I don't think one can be found on FM anymore either. I love the Sirius Radio in my Durango and my wife's Sebring. I do not listen to broadcast radio outside of Sports, and then only if the game is not on a Sirius station.

well i struggled to remove the famous ash receiver and get the old radio out only to find that the Retro Radio for a dart- will not work (didnt realize the dial was so far back from the thumbwheels and buttons when i gave them the measurements. sent it back, found Taymann electrical website and sent it off yesterday.

Most repairs for radios of this vintage involve 2 things-capacitors and poor solder joints. I have been out of electronic repair since the 1990s but I recall running a flat rate of $50 plus parts for car audio and amplifiers. To me, the pricing these days is nuts. Parts are dirt cheap.

I recently pulled my Fury’s AM unit and put it on my bench. 3 bad electrolytic capacitors that run about 12 cents each. I was done in 15 minutes. It is rare to have transistor failures. Even so, substitutes are available and cheap. There isn’t much else to these radios.

To answer the OP question...Yes the 67 only AM/FM mono radio is not cheap. It fits the dash with no changes to faceplate.
I installed one in my 68 Newport.
I had it tested before going in of course.
FM staions do wander and constantly adjusting the tuning.
I have a spare that I found in A 67 NYer that was cherry picked and met its violent demise in a demo derby.
I will be converting that unit over to bluetooth when i have extra coin to blow.
I had it for sale last year before going to Carlisle. No real buyers so I kept it.

Look for some under-dash stuff on E-Pay if you want to keep your tech appropriate to the decade. I have the AM radio out of mine and might if REALLY bored open it up, replace the caps and fix it. I used to do that before puberty quite easily and still repair electronics when necessary. Still, for want of much WORTH listening to on any radio stations here, I normally just use a bluetooth speaker and my Droid nowadaze. W a 32 GB micro SD card, one can store all sorts of righteous toonz from Back in The Day. Flac even stores with decent fidelity, for digital.....

From time to time I look at AM/FM radios for sale to go with a C-body (for my '67 New Yorker; which despite being L-O-A-D-E-D, only came with AM radio. You don't see them often, and here's one I came across yesterday.

Working AM/FM AM FM Radio 1967 67 1968 68 Chrysler Newport New Yorker 300 | eBay

Anyone else been through this "re-fit" exercise before; or know if this price is realistic?

I have bought from this seller before, and he doesn't pull any tricks, and when he says things are mint/NOS, they really are. Often times radios will need work before they can just go into use. Still, it seems like a WHOLE LOT of $$$ for one of these, but due to rarity, and repairs involved, it MIGHT be in the ballpark?

THANKS.

Is this the same item?

1967 1968 Chrysler AM/FM Radio 300, Newport, New Yorker, Town & Country | eBay

This radio as pictured matches the original AM radio delivered in my '68 300 except mine has only the AM dial. Back in the early '70s I came upon a '68 Newport radio with the AM/FM search tune feature and installed it. It uses knobs rather than wheels for controls and has loc/dis buttons for tuning and the floor button for tuning. As offered here and considered non-working, I would buy it figuring it would need repair, just the cost of acquiring rare and old parts for these cars. You need the face plate which should fit from the orig AM wheel type radio. My face plate did not fit and I had to make do with the Newport plate, gray rather than the brushed gold-like 300 finish. Yet it worked for years. Now it's a non-issue in the car but is functional. I have never seen another for sale! I also have an AM/8 track from n other '68 300. Times have changed! What's an 8 track?
For me, I'd buy it just because they don't come up much.......

Back