Are headlight switchs servicable

peterlucas

Reaction score
the park light part of my headlight switch doesnt work are they servicable, can i take the switch out and clean the contacts or something, im in new zealand and they are not easily found

I'm sorry I don't recall what year and model car you have but I would say for any of them that removing and cleaning contacts, both male and female would be my first step. The fact that you're in NZ shouldn't make to much difference, if you need a replacement your going to go online and order one from somewhere just like any of us. Let us know how the cleaning goes and be gentle with it and maybe wait to do it till you've located a replacement. That way if it can't be fixed or you make it worse inadvertently you can get the replacement quickly.

Agree. Take it out and clean with spray "contact cleaner". There is a "secret" release button on the switch that lets you pull the knob shaft out to get it out of the dash. Apply 12 V to the parking light terminal to verify that your wiring works before you blame the switch. You didn't bother to tell us what year & model car you have, but I don't think the headlight switches changed much from ~64 to 76 across A,B,C,E bodies. Indeed, one guy with an early-A found that a C-body switch fit his car better than ones for later A's. Check rockauto for interchange. I bought a few new headlamp switches the last few years for ~$12.

If you have one of the thumb wheel type of switches there is a service for them. I think the guy is listed on Ebay and he will rebuild your original switch for $75.00.

If you have one of the thumb wheel type of switches there is a service for them. I think the guy is listed on Ebay and he will rebuild your original switch for $75.00.
He's a regular advertiser on Moparts:
Handle: devinism
http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=7649479&an=0&page=0&gonew=1#UNREAD (scroll down about a dozen posts)
I have been restoring these dimmer switches for over 15 years , and guarantee ALL of my switches.

worked out the switch was fine, for some reason someone has played around with the wiring and had chopped half of the wires

Back