Are the 79-81 R-bodies actualy C-bodies in disquise?

I don't get the different K frame deal. You could pull a 318 out of a Bbody and put a 440 in the same hole, just needed big block mounts. I thought the only difference on the later one was the isolated K frame mounts and spool engine mounts.

Kevin

Unless the newer k-frames have provisions for both engine family mounts, then the k-frame would be specific to the engine family it held, within the same platform family (B-Body, C-body, etc.). Otherwise, the Shumacher people wouldn't be building the motor mount adaptors they do?

I know what the owner of the '79 St. Regis told me. The 440 in his car looked like it came that way. Only the a/c line to the RV-2 compressor (as my '80 has the later axial unit) looked a bit different. Had the factory dual snorkel air cleaner, but with a "360" pie pan on it. The Chevy guys didn't know the difference! After they said "What you got in that thing?" after they couldn't keep up.

CBODY67

I had a 1979 Newport, great car. It had a 318 , 2BBL in it. I kind of miss it today. I didn't like the way Chrysler added the trim on the New Yorker. Not many people know but the police speedo from these also fit 80 to 83 Cordoba's and Magnums.
(Yes I have done it before).

The more I learned about my '80, I came to appreciate the way it was designed for "easy service" in some areas. The fact the radio and inst cluster could be removed easily with the plastic push-pin retainers. The dynamics of that would be decreased warranty labor times, as it was quicker than using the normal screws.

Plus that they knew they'd be in police work, reliably so, so that generated the fact the rocker panels were the lowest part of the body. No exhaust pipes hanging below them. Would keep them "in the chase" longer with decreased under-car damage, I suspect. They knew what they were doing and did it well.

Underhood accessibility was not quite so good, but with the LA motor, the spark plugs were much easier to get to than on ANY B/RB car back then. Even so, it was more crowded than it needed to be.

It would have been nice if they'd done a sports-themed sedan. Buckets, console, 4bbl V-8, upgraded chassis, etc. But the general market demeanor back then probably would have not accepted it too well, although they didn't really accept them anyway.

The New Yorkers had unique front and rear end treatments. Specific associated parts, by observation. I know that the Magnum GT wheels really made my '80 look much better, than the "aero" flat wheel covers it came with.

CBODY67

Over the years I have owned 5 Newports and 3 NY R bodies. They were daily drivers when I lived in the Rust belt that is Ontario Canada. I loved them and found that they were great cars.

I can tell you that the NY rusted out way faster that the Newport...that lower body trim really held the slush/ salt and rotted them.

The R body/ B Body arguments are very similar to the 67-73 Imperial "not being a C body" arguments. Hence Commando1's statement. He's not wrong, or he is, depending on your point of view.

Bottom line up front, it depends on what you consider similarities.

If floor pans, firewall sheetmetal and most mechanicals count for you, then sure, for you it's a "4 door Cordoba" and yes, R bodies are based on those B foundations. Yes, if you find a 78 BB stub frame, you can bolt it on for a totally stock appearing BB R body...or just used the Schumacher mounts (that's what I'd do).

If external sheetmetal/ appearances count, then yes, it's totally different.

Same as the Imperial. My 68 Imperial has exactly the same floor pans/ firewall as a Newport. Differences are in external sheetmetal, stub frame and interior bits...sound familiar?

I am astonished at the differences on my 79 Cordoba from the 78. From the outside they look the same, but the re-working of the internals with the airbox etc for A/C are there. I was very surprised when I had to replace my heater core.

I think we can all agree that R bods are truly the red headed step children of the Mopar clan. There's not even a for..bodiesonly website that includes them. Even FMJ cars get more love.

Back