Are these the road wheels that some get excited about???

Woah woah woah.

Who’s formal is that? Looks good.

Make that "Magnum XE", not "Magnum GT". The GTs had a special silver paint on the 15x7s, with the normal center cap and trim ring.

DEFINITELY a nice NY in the picture!

CBODY67

Make that "Magnum XE", not "Magnum GT". The GTs had a special silver paint on the 15x7s, with the normal center cap and trim ring.

DEFINITELY a nice NY in the picture!

CBODY67

tx, that was 1 of my salons.
at 1 point i owned 2 at the same time and both were sunroof cars..... what are the odds heheh.
yep, my bad, you are right, the magnum set i have has XE on the cap.
(i have 2 sets of these wheels, 1 from a salon and 1 from a magnum.)

mark

IMG_8868e.jpg

As noted, the first-gen W23 Class II 16 Slot Road Wheels were all 15x6 wheels. The trim ring was squared-off with a concaveish inner section which met the wheel at the chromed slot area. Same wheels were on the '73-'74 Satellites, as a part of the Radial Roadability Package with GR70x15 Goodyear white letter radials. These first-gen wheels were not that popular, for some reason. Possibly a little plain in comparison to some of the fancier wheel covers of that general time?

When the '75 Cordobas hit, that's when they tended to be "everywhere". As noted, the shorter and smooth center cap assemblies. Same squared-off style trim ring, as I recall. Many New Yorkers had them, too. Still 15x6 sizing.

The trim ring pictured in the OP's picture is an aftermarket ring, not a factory item.

There was a 15x7 version that was on the '77 Chrysler LeBaron cars. Not very many of them, either, by observation. Some had a body-color ornament rather than (or assembled over) the silver painted area of the other W23s, except possibly for the SFGT cars. Wider trim ring to match the 7" rim width.

The observed issue I had with the W23s on my '70 DH43 is that the bolts which hold the center caps to the wheel, from the backside, would get loose and the caps would rattle as the wheel turned. The pot metal in the base of the cap is somewhat soft, so easy to strip the threads. OEM uses a special "screw" with a copper washer. Getting it just tight enough, but not too tight, is the trick! Especially on a used cap! The OEM bolts are self-threading, with a taper at the end to assist in self-threading a new center cap.

IF a normal bolt is used, they usually are a hair longer (and not tapered at the end) and will put a dimple on the outside of the center cap base, because of that.

As much as I disliked the exposed bolts on the similar GM wheels, never a problem with stripped threads (as the bolts screwed into the wheel itself) or rattles.

Enjoy and Happy Thanksgiving!
CBODY67

If you refer to the slotless optinal wheels offered for LeBarons, they're made of aluminum as the 16-slot wheels on Cs were chromed steel.

As noted, the first-gen W23 Class II 16 Slot Road Wheels were all 15x6 wheels. The trim ring was squared-off with a concaveish inner section which met the wheel at the chromed slot area. Same wheels were on the '73-'74 Satellites, as a part of the Radial Roadability Package with GR70x15 Goodyear white letter radials. These first-gen wheels were not that popular, for some reason. Possibly a little plain in comparison to some of the fancier wheel covers of that general time?

When the '75 Cordobas hit, that's when they tended to be "everywhere". As noted, the shorter and smooth center cap assemblies. Same squared-off style trim ring, as I recall. Many New Yorkers had them, too. Still 15x6 sizing.

The trim ring pictured in the OP's picture is an aftermarket ring, not a factory item.

There was a 15x7 version that was on the '77 Chrysler LeBaron cars. Not very many of them, either, by observation. Some had a body-color ornament rather than (or assembled over) the silver painted area of the other W23s, except possibly for the SFGT cars. Wider trim ring to match the 7" rim width.

The observed issue I had with the W23s on my '70 DH43 is that the bolts which hold the center caps to the wheel, from the backside, would get loose and the caps would rattle as the wheel turned. The pot metal in the base of the cap is somewhat soft, so easy to strip the threads. OEM uses a special "screw" with a copper washer. Getting it just tight enough, but not too tight, is the trick! Especially on a used cap! The OEM bolts are self-threading, with a taper at the end to assist in self-threading a new center cap.

IF a normal bolt is used, they usually are a hair longer (and not tapered at the end) and will put a dimple on the outside of the center cap base, because of that.

As much as I disliked the exposed bolts on the similar GM wheels, never a problem with stripped threads (as the bolts screwed into the wheel itself) or rattles.

Enjoy and Happy Thanksgiving!
CBODY67

I found a bolt at the Lowe's that is perfect ....

So, was the '74 use limited to the B-body cars with the Radial Roadability Package? The only C-body application in '74 and later (I'll have to check my sales brochure archive for the '74-specific availability) were the "Cordoba" smooth caps. Key issue would be the '74 model year.

Thanks,
CBODY67

You are correct. The splined tall dome center caps were used through 1974. Check your parts books folks.
:thankyou:
I sense a lack of respect from the newer guys. After loving C bodies for 37 years ..... ya know?

37 years? That's a short-timer, of sorts. Not that having grown up with the '60s+ Chryslers and C-bodies in particular, really matters.

Not everybody has a set of "parts books" archived. Some have more specialized knowledge than others, by observation. Let's look at these things as "horizon expansion" than otherwise. There might have been some intracacies that were not paid attention to or otherwise not worried about in those prior times.

Respectfully,
CBODY67

That package hanging has old dome screws in it. These new screws fit perfectly snug. No play, no dimple but I must admit I was cautious about possible penetration of the screw.

37 years? That's a short-timer, or sorts. Not that having grown up with the '60s+ Chryslers and C-bodies in particular, really matters.

Not everybody has a set of "parts books" archived. Some have more specialized knowledge than others, by observation. Let's look at these things as "horizon expansion" than otherwise. There might have been some intracacies that were not paid attention to or otherwise not worried about in those prior times.

Respectfully,
CBODY67

Ok, I guess as a percentage of my life span would be off the cuff about 75 % .
Of course Pop Pop had a 68 Monaco when I was 2.

When I got interested in cars, the main information sources were car magazines, in the later '50s. Parts books were in only the domain of new car dealers, with sales brochures being something that anybody could get, but usually didn't unless they were going to possibly buy something. Saving both of those publications just didn't happen too much, back then.

Chrysler-specific parts books had to be archived as they were only "year-specific" rather than multi-year as GM books were. By observation, the GM books could be trashed after a few years of archival.

In modern times, that means swap meets or literature vendors or dealer liquidations as sources of Chrysler books, I suspect, other than online downloads. With the downloads being only what others have uploaded to the various websites.

Be that as it may,
CBODY67

Ok, I guess as a percentage of my life span would be off the cuff about 75 % .
Of course Pop Pop had a 68 Monaco when I was 2.

TO BE SURE . . . many of "the younger generations" have taken the knowledge-base of C-body Chryslers to levels which I would have never ever suspected, given the much higher interest in B/E/A-body cars -- period. For this we can all be thankful! Not sure "why" it really happened, but we can be glad it did. Personally, I always liked Chryslers more than the other brands, although I followed them as "part of the family". Plus following other manufacturers' cars, too, foreign and domestic.

As with ALL hobbies where various levels of knowledge might exist, sharing accurate knowledge is very important for the expansion of our individual knowledge bases, for the betterment of all.

The KEY is that any knowledge is completely accurate, many times from actual experiences, rather than just "seeing it in a book" (which has been proven to be problematic, in some cases). The Internet is an easy way for one inaccurate bit of information "being everywhere, as correct", which can skew things a bit. Identifying the credible information sources is always important, no matter what the area of interest.

Happy Thanksgiving,
CBODY67

So, was the '74 use limited to the B-body cars with the Radial Roadability Package? The only C-body application in '74 and later (I'll have to check my sales brochure archive for the '74-specific availability) were the "Cordoba" smooth caps. Key issue would be the '74 model year.

Thanks,
CBODY67

I think the little picture in this '74 Chrysler Brochure answers this question. The road wheel photo has the tall dome with the splined cap.

74 Chrysler Dealer Brochure Photo Of Road Wheel.jpg

Reading through this thread, it got me thinking if the Magnum 15x7 road wheels recently purchase for the 71 New Yorker, will clear the front disc brake calipers.
I've been cleaning these up using a brass wire wheel and will have the tires mounted and balanced when done. They're driver quality, but when done and the center caps and trim rings go on, they'll look much better than what's on the car now.
My girls bought the WW tires for me on my b-day. All 4 were $269.00. They great kids.
Road wheels before.jpg
Road wheels after.jpg
Road wheel tires.jpg

Back