B body Dana 60 into a 65 Fury

65Fury440

Reaction score
I picked up a 66-67 B body Dana 60 local. It was a reasonable price, so I took it.
Right now, with the 440 and Nitto DOT tires, the hook is getting so hard, I doubt the 8 3/4 will live.
The Dana, flange to flange is 54.25. The 8 3/4 stock in my 65 Fury flange to flange is 56.75.
The 2.5 inch difference is too much to take up with offset spring hangers and shackles.

FYI an E body diff is essentially the same as a 65-69 C body, or within .5 inch.

So as much as I don't care to do so, a spring re-location is in my car's future.

The front spring hangers are pretty easy. The rear shackles don't work like an A or B body spring re-location.

Has anyone done this swap?

dana.jpg

If it were me I would sell B body Dana 60 for a tidy profit get one from a truck and convert or bucks up operation aftermarket version with easy backlash and preload adjustment. for the suspension I would follow Darrel from Wisconsin lead and lose the leaf springs and put it on a ladder bar and coil overs that will deal with you HP and stick shift that your shooting for. My 2 cents.

shackle.jpg

Thanks for the replies.
I am not sure which way to go with this. I have
access to a couple truck Danas, but by the time you buy the puck/rod kit, ends, axle shafts, rebuild parts, it would just be easier and cheaper to do the spring re-locate.
The Dana I have seems good, the locker passes the prybar test, gears don't have any abnormal wear.
The reason I was asking if anyone had done the spring relocate, the shackles, if moved over 2 1/2 inches from the stock location, will be just inside the rear frame rail.
I think I could use the stock spring hanger inside half of the bracket, and bolt through the frame. I'll have to make sure the front spring hanger can be held out enough to the outside to match.

I can make it work, just thought some guys here may have treaded this water before me.

A friend of mine has it done on a A body but that is about as easy as it gets parallel rails and all.

A friend of mine has it done on a A body but that is about as easy as it gets parallel rails and all.

Yea the rear frame rail is at a funny angle , the rear shackles are actually angled inward pointing down.
As stoked as I am to get started, I think getting a lift first will be a smart move.

E bodies have angled rails under the rear but the shackles are straight. On a A body youweld the upper shackle tube right into the rail if I remember right. The old relocation kit from Mopar Performance the front piece was a u channel welded into a cut out section of the rail by front spring hanger and the spring then sits up inside the rail and you drill the hole for ride height.

Why don't you just relocate the spring perches on the Dana. I put a 68 B body Dana 60 in my 65 Polara wagon.just by moving the perches.

Why don't you just relocate the spring perches on the Dana. I put a 68 B body Dana 60 in my 65 Polara wagon.just by moving the perches.
The Dana is about 2 1/2 inches shorter. The tires will rub the springs.

Last edited:
or get some obscene wheel offset

Wheel Vintiques will make a steelie with 3 1/2" backspacing.The Ramcharger rims on the car now are 4.25.
I talked to Cass at Dr Diff, the front A body 1/2" offset shackles would fit a 65 Fury.

All said and done, I could make up the 2 1/2", but in the future, I'd like to stuff some big tires under it.

Decisions....

The Dana is about 2 1/2 inches shorter. The tires will rub the springs.
The 68 Dana is about 3/4" shorter per side than my original 8.75. I'll take some shots when I get the diff back in the wagon ...took it out to put a fresh ring and pinion in it as the original had some pits from sitting. Have a rear disc setup for it and then I can figure out rim width and tire size....looks like a 10" rim will fit easily. The 3" TTI system looks tiny on the car.
or get some obscene wheel offset
12931040_935533436554330_4757265106244152360_n.jpg

68 is wider than 66-67. I have some 15x10 centerlines with 3 1/2 backspace, don't ask but I would love to find them a new home.

The 68 Dana is about 3/4" shorter per side than my original 8.75. I'll take some shots when I get the diff back in the wagon ...took it out to put a fresh ring and pinion in it as the original had some pits from sitting. Have a rear disc setup for it and then I can figure out rim width and tire size....looks like a 10" rim will fit easily. The 3" TTI system looks tiny on the car.

View attachment 77692

I missed this post somehow. You're a fine looking guy and all but, how bout some pics of your rear end? (Dana) and wagon? Looks like a serious ride!

Checked those wheels out again, apparently I wished them different they are 15x12 with 3 1/2" back space, you would have to do some serious surgery for them to fit.
If you are looking to get rid of the to rocker arms I would be interested

Cool, thanks for looking. I'm just going to do the spring relocate, it won't be that huge of a deal. It just wasn't on my list of things that need doing, but, oh well.
I'll dig those rockers out and take pics in the next few days.

Back