Backhoe attachment

Seems like every one of the dealers are getting msrp and will not budge. But they'll be glad to give you 0 down, 0% for 84 months.

Found this on AliBaba. Seems like a good deal...

Screenshot_20191222-230656.png

Note the free shipping. How can you lose?

AliBaBa.Tractor.001.jpg

Years ago a ol'geezer friend of mine from Iowa and I went out to the fleamarket and saw one of these, no one was around and there was a riveted on plate that said "Made In The USA" but we smelled Chinese so I said we gotta hang around and ask about this one.
Sure'nuf a lady shows up and explains that the bucket attachment is made in the USA but came up with some convoluted answer as that the tractor (gears?) parts were machined in the USA and shipped to China for assembly or it may have been the other way around, parts made in China and assembled in USA, I can't remember. We walked away after giving her a bunch of stick like, fly by night, an !were you gonna get parts!
My friend and I just looked at each other and said wot'da hell is the world coming too!
BTW he's a retired Teamster.

This is one of the smaller John Deeres I've had to setup and work on. This was about the time all the larger tractors were switching over to Kubota engines and I'll have to admit if memory serves me as I remember jap plating on most of the bolts, so pretty much all jap.
This 400 was still all USA with a Kohler 2 cyl engine, had hydraulics and a PTO, very versatile lightweight tractor. I think it was around 6 grand with a mower attachment back in the 80's.

df2131da903114633b0022ca95012e83.jpg

400ls.jpg

I tried it out today to bring in a load of firewood. It works ok. It does have some interesting limitations. Backing up to turn around with a load of wood is a little bit interesting. I confirmed that I have to be careful to make sure the back of the trailer is heavier otherwise it takes the weight off the front wheels and steering is very difficult. I had hoped that I would be able use the hoe to dump the trailer, but it doesn't have enough oomph to do that. It still allowed me to haul in about 6 bucket loads of wood at one time so I'm good with that.

I told the wife that it would work better with a bigger backhoe, but then I wouldn't be able to get into some of the places I need to go. Always a compromise somewhere.

The point is; you recognized a need, thought it through, executed, and now you are reaping the benefits, making your life easier for not a lot of dough. Well done.

The point is; you recognized a need, thought it through, executed, and now you are reaping the benefits, making your life easier for not a lot of dough. Well done.
You make it sound so simple!

Backing up is a little bit interesting. Is kind of double jointed due to the fact that it pivots on the ball and then the hoe doesn't stay perfectly still. Sometimes when it wiggles a little bit it's helpful other times not so much. We brought another load in today and I'll probably bring in two or three more in the week while the weather is warm. Better than having to get it in January or Feburary.

Last edited:
How about some ballast in the front bucket?
Yes, it gets loaded with wood first. This makes a big difference. Maybe I'll have to keep an eye out for some wheel weights.

I've also considered filling the wheels with inexpensive -20 windshield washer fluid. Before doing that I want to investigate getting some slightly larger tires.

Just as a useless mind exercise, I did some deep digging into these 6,000 dollar Chinese loader backhoe tractors.
Yes. You really can buy them for real.
Here's what people who did have to say.
They come unassembled.
Critical pieces will be missing.
They will not respond to any problems.
Repair parts non-existent.
EPA will confiscate it at POE and crush it.
No refunds no returns. :rolleyes:

Sorry to disagree but the new thing is beet juice. Calcium used to be used all the time but it is very corrosive.
Beet juice is harmless and I believe weighs more. Any good tire shop out in the country that services farm tires usually has it. They pump it into your tires.

Back