Bacon and my 4 Speed

AAR65

Reaction score
Any of you guys with 4 speed cars notice the clutch pedal is amazingly easy to push down? In my quest to have power brakes I had to pull the entire pedal assembly. The is a HUGE ove center spring that once over center (around an inch down on travel) it literally whips the clutch rod down the floor board?

So what you say? I had a gal in yesterday griping about a hard clutch pedal. Calble style GT. No adjustment. I told her to buy a 65 Fury.

If not mistaken, you have the spring in the wrong pivot point..

I did this many years ago in my Ford Pickup once..

check to see if there is more points to bolt too for the return spring
Maybe it is pulling down instead of up??:head_smack:

If not mistaken, you have the spring in the wrong pivot point..

I did this many years ago in my Ford Pickup once..

check to see if there is more points to bolt too for the return spring
Maybe it is pulling down instead of up??:head_smack:

It's supposed to pull down, it assists in pushing in the clutch.

Bacon? Who mentioned bacon! All I know is I clicked on this thread due to 'bacon'! Mmmmmm!

Glenn

like mr fix it said I always thought the spring was just to return the clutch pedal news to me on assisting pedal effort

It is def a helper spring. You can push the clutch doown with two fingers. When I bought my S/F the guy said the clutch had 500 miles on it. It felt so weak I thought he was just lieing about it. Then I found the invoice.

When I had the pedal assembly out, the spring fell out. I had to figure out how it went back in. There is a little piece of round stock that straddles the assembly above the pedal. The spring attaches to it. Just push the pedal down, attach the spring, pull the pedal back, and remount the assembly.

The point of the post is simple. Having owned well over 400 cars in my 42 years, I have never had any car from this era that had such an easy clutch pedal. A five year old could push it down if he/she could reach them.

Very cool technology for a a 50 year old car. Still fighting belt routing, but the power steering box, inter shaft, tilt column, and gearbox are on. Now to some metal work and removing the artist rendition of what a 65 Fury should be.

Bacon, not a fan at $9 a pound. WTF? Pigs are getting too expensive.

There is an over center spring that must be removed if the replacement clutch is a diaphragm type instead of the original Borg and Beck three finger. If left in it can cause the pedal to stay at the floor in "spirited driving". If the pedal is that light, I seriously suspect the clutch has been replace with a diaphragm style.

It is def a helper spring. You can push the clutch doown with two fingers. When I bought my S/F the guy said the clutch had 500 miles on it. It felt so weak I thought he was just lieing about it. Then I found the invoice.

When I had the pedal assembly out, the spring fell out. I had to figure out how it went back in. There is a little piece of round stock that straddles the assembly above the pedal. The spring attaches to it. Just push the pedal down, attach the spring, pull the pedal back, and remount the assembly.

The point of the post is simple. Having owned well over 400 cars in my 42 years, I have never had any car from this era that had such an easy clutch pedal. A five year old could push it down if he/she could reach them.

Very cool technology for a a 50 year old car. Still fighting belt routing, but the power steering box, inter shaft, tilt column, and gearbox are on. Now to some metal work and removing the artist rendition of what a 65 Fury should be.

Bacon, not a fan at $9 a pound. WTF? Pigs are getting too expensive.

What trouble are you having with belt routing? I have a S/F with everything if you need some help with the belts and how they go on.

No issue, just a very cool thing on my 65. My 65 442 with an out the box Luk Rep Set takes problably ten times the force to get the pedal down. My twin 70 Super Sport Chevelles are the same. '

Again, if being cool was an issue, it would be a problem. But cool is cool, and cool is my 65 Plymouth.

Carry on.

I'm trying to picture this all in my head,but actually photos might help a bit more.Any chance of getting us some pics?

Me too. Is the bacon fried or raw and are you using it to wrap the spring or something AAR?

Here's some pics of some bacon if that helps Greasemonkey

bacon.jpgbacon2.jpg

and here's one of Kevin Bacon made out of bacon

Kevin-Bacon-made-from-bacon.jpg

bacon.jpg

bacon2.jpg

Kevin-Bacon-made-from-bacon.jpg

Back