Ball joint socket size

MetalManiacAZ

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Alright guys, I've struck out twice now on Ebay purchases of ball joint sockets. I need this for my '66 300. Measuring ear to ear, the ball joints are 2 1/8". I just received my second purchase, that is actually stamped "2 1/8" " and it's too big. Are the measurements supposed to be the barrel of the ball joint head? What size would be correct?

If anyone needs one of these big-*** ball joint sockets, let me know. Otherwise, I'll be using it as a deep water sinker for striper fishing!

Alright guys, I've struck out twice now on Ebay purchases of ball joint sockets. I need this for my '66 300. Measuring ear to ear, the ball joints are 2 1/8". I just received my second purchase, that is actually stamped "2 1/8" " and it's too big. Are the measurements supposed to be the barrel of the ball joint head? What size would be correct?

If anyone needs one of these big-*** ball joint sockets, let me know. Otherwise, I'll be using it as a deep water sinker for striper fishing!

They're specialized sorts of socket. You DID get something with a 3/4" drive and the funky octagonal shape with 4 big sides, squared, but the 4 corners diagonalized into an asymmetric octagon. Show us a pic of what you got. Looks like you may have been burned. A big pipe wrench CAN do the job, if its a good old Rigid.... I got a socket though.

As noted, a 2 1/8" specialty ball joint socket should be the right one. A standard 2 1/8" won't work, has to be a Mopar upper ball joint socket. The other possibility is that Chi-Com knock off ball joints were installed on the car, in which case they are smaller and metric. They are also very poor quality.

Dave

Sorry guys, I guess I should clarify. Yes, both were actual Chrysler ball joint sockets. First was a MAC and the latest is a Cornwell. Both vintage. The replacements I purchased are Made in USA Moog K772. I haven't ripped anything apart yet.

I know Chrysler made different sizes for different applications. I did this job back in the day on a '65 Belvedere and used an axle socket from O'reilly. Surprisingly it worked well but I want to have the correct tool for THIS job.

20210702_122238.jpg

1627965337563333811917444916938.jpg

Ah! I'll check the barrel of the joint tomorrow to see if it is 1 59/64". Here's a pic of the ear to ear measurement on the MAC socket. It's closer to 2 3/8". I'm thinking the measurement is supposed to be the barrel, not the ears.

20210702_122134.jpg

Ah! I'll check the barrel of the joint tomorrow to see if it is 1 59/64". Here's a pic of the ear to ear measurement on the MAC socket. It's closer to 2 3/8". I'm thinking the measurement is supposed to be the barrel, not the ears.

View attachment 478848
Yes, what you have looks like it was meant for an Imperial, and a Formal at that. 2.32" certainly is too big for those Moog uppers. I had to look around a little bit, but found my socket after a day or so. I used the same Moogs you're wanting to, so I think 1 59/64" is the right size, as far as sizing these weird tools goes.

View attachment 478848
That mesurement is actually closer to 2 5/16" (2.312), but that's not relevant.

Give the calipers a 1/4 turn and measure across the flats. Think what the size would be if you were using an end wrench.

Boom! Thanks Gerry! Done and done. I'll probably keep the other one too in case it fits my Imp.

You got some VERY GOOD QUALITY sockets, w a MAC and a Cornwell, for sure. I guess you could look up which ball joint is used on the old Imps, to see if what you got is worth keeping. I notice Sunex stated the 1 59/64 socket is meant for what they call "mid-sized" stuff. May be that trucks used the big ball joints too....

I grew up believing there is only two size ball joint sockets for our Mopars
Me too.

I've had the Snap-On S9365 socket for 40+ years. Got it to put uppers on my 68 Dart (which was broadsided in 1979). The flats of this socket measure 1.925 inches, or 1 59/64ths.
Snap-on Store

I believe that Snappy S9479 is for the larger upper, as they indicate 2-9/64 inches across the flats.
Snap-on Store

Damaged Dart!
End Of Dart.jpg
Dart Interior.jpg

Last edited:
Thread Hijack: OFF
Haha! Damn, that was a nasty hit.

Well, the socket that Gerry suggested will be in my mailbox by Friday. The confusion was measuring the ears vs. the flats. I'll update the team once I receive the socket. Hopefully I'll be rebuilding Betty White's suspension and completing the '73 disc conversion this weekend! Thank you guys for all the help!

Gerry nailed it! 1 59/64" is the winner. Now back to the project...

View attachment 479232

Glad to see you copped one of those Sunex sockets like mine. It certainly works well for the dollar. I torqued it down the full 125 ft-lbs too. Now that I have a nice old Craftsman 3/4" drive breaker bar, it should be easy to work with for my next upper ball joint installation, which I fear may not be too long (another year) in coming. Mind you, 4 years on these barrio **** streets down here will bust up any suspension eventually. Pox on the City for failure to maintain infrastructure! Will ATVs be the future motor transport for this sad, looted land?

Back