Ballast resistors

I currently use the new Mallory #29219 with 58,000 volts output. Does no require a ballast resister and fits
in standard holder. Downside for some may be chrome finish but then paint is made every day.

ECHLIN Part # IC17 here.....
Fits in standard bracket and is black.
I've never had a bad coil. I put in a new one because I can.

You have to run the BR with factory electronic ignition. If you converted from points to a Pertronix they do not need the BR. MSD systems do not need the BR. All factory ignition systms from Mopar and Ford require a BR or resistance wire or you will burn up coils and modules. Honestly I always use MSD coils. I have about 3 of them in the bottom drawer of my tool box from an old job I had where the owner insisted on replacing everyone when we made changes.
Would you part with one.

ECHLIN Part # IC17 here.....
Fits in standard bracket and is black.
I've never had a bad coil. I put in a new one because I can.

The only coil I had go bad on me was on my 1990 dodge d50 ram truck.
I went through 2 coils then switched to an old school coil and my problems were solved

Those Echlin $10 coils have worked faithfully since the beginning of time .
I don't think I need high priced sexy engine compartment bling advertised for situations that 99% of our car's everyday applications will never see.

Posted via Topify on Android

Those Echlin $10 coils have worked faithfully since the beginning of time .
I don't think I need high priced sexy engine compartment bling advertised for situations that 99% of our car's everyday applications will never see.

Posted via Topify on Android

Those are the coils I use on everything unless there is something special about what I am building. I've never had trouble out of one. I use MSD because 1. I can get them pretty cheap 2. because I have them laying around 3. if I have an engine that is on the higher performance level and runs at higher RPM's than a stock car driving up and down the highway.

It bothers me when I see at car shows all the ego boosting bling under the hoods that are not justified. Money down the drain when I see a lot of other things on the car that need to be attended to way more than that Demon carburetor with $200 worth of bright red braided fuel line from the pump to the carburetor. $200? For red hose and blue AN fittings? Ffor 3'?? Meanwhile, I'm looking at the fried bushings on the A-arms.
Not a rant. Not angry. Just mystified at human behavior that also votes for politicians and then complain about wasteful spending.

I've first started thinking about weak spark when I found the electrode side on #3 plug was wet with gas. I realize a weak coil does not pick one specific cylinder to under power. So when I noticed the gas all sorts of thoughts went flying thru my mind, the most nagging one was bad or damaged head gasket. However, there are no other indications of that which I can tell. No gas or oil leaking into the engine coolant, dipstick comes out nice and clean (with oil), no blue/white smoke out of the tail pipe whether at idle or under load, no over heating problems...nothing that usually says "blown head gasket". It will idle after warming up as if there were a dead cylinder or miss but at speed on the highway it runs smoothly with good acceleration. I'm going to do a compression test shortly to cover all bases but based on what is happening I'm not expecting low/or no compression in that cylinder. I've done that before with a 440 and it ran like serious crap at idle and/or under load. Burnt antifreeze smoke everywhere, blah blah. You could definitely tell it was not a happy motor. So anyways I'm left trying to figure out why gas is not being burned in that cylinder.

Ever find out what it was?

That could be a bad valve somwhere. Had a car doing this before and it was a burnt exhaust valve...

Just came back from that movie. Took a year of tuning, fixing and vacuum leak searching before I got serious and did a simple leak down test. Burnt exhaust valve was the culprit.

image.jpg

And it was also the number 3 cylinder.

image.jpg

Back