barn find of the day

bluefury361

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
Well ........ not a barn, but a small repair shop.

A while back I posted a picture of this Imperial coupe, (y'all were right, it's a 72), that I has seen while cruising around a couple weeks ago.

71 imperial coupe 3 (Large).jpg

I went back there today to find out any info I could about it and the 64 Imperial convertible that has been parked there for the last couple of years.

The shop was open and Jimmy, (owner/mechanic) told me they belonged to a customer of his. A doctor in Birmingham who liked and gathered old Chryslers, and likely would,nt sell them.
He then steered me towards the back of his shop and said this belongs to him also ........ There, in a semi dissassembled form sat a 1961 Chrysler 300G hardtop. An original, rust free Arizona car. A Perfect original paint rust free, damage free, nice chrome trim, perfect glass, complete car with a typical Arizona toasted interior.
The engine, (a rare 400 HP solid lifter option), was rebuilt and on an engine stand. Trans is rebuilt with a new converter. The ram induction was on the bench and there are boxes of already finished/restored mech parts.
He said he worked on the fellows cars when he had extra time, but hadn't touched the 300 in over three years.

The car has the 400 HP engine, A/C, power windows and swevel seats.

I got the owners name and number........ Will call.

DSC01399 (Large).jpg

DSC01400 (Large).jpg

DSC01401 (Large).jpg

DSC01402 (Large).jpg

DSC01403 (Large).jpg

DSC01404 (Large).jpg

DSC01405 (Large).jpg

WOW what a find! The 61 is outstanding, 1973 plates! I gotta take a couple of deep breaths, best of luck this would be a great score.

I think Will is going to make a new friend. Will: that serendipitous find of the 300
is stuff you can only dream about.

Posted via Topify on Android

That Doctor won't live for ever...so keep in touch, make a friend, and who knows...maybe you'll add a beauty of a 300 to your stable. :)

Wil: You do realize you will automatically move to the top of the "YOU SUCK" list, if you make a score on that car. Don't you ?

Good gawd, people. The man is alive and breathing and you're already giving Will the title to the car.

Posted via Topify on Android

FYI Will. After being a member in good standing of both 300 clubz on the planet for 30 yearz, If you DO wind up with that "G" I have namez, phone#s and addressez of every possible partz source you'd ever need for that little puppy,Jer

FYI Will. After being a member in good standing of both 300 clubz on the planet for 30 yearz, If you DO wind up with that "G" I have namez, phone#s and addressez of every possible partz source you'd ever need for that little puppy,Jer

I have a friend rebuilding his stock 1960 300F engine and wants a source for stock valves and valve springs (think they have dampers in the F whereas other standard 413s do not)? Wasn't sure what to tell him, so any input from you would be helpful. I haven't had to rebuild my 300F engine, so I do not have any advice personally. I tried to contact Gil Cunningham, but so far no response.

Steve

Great news ....... I got a call from the fellow who owns the 61 300 this morning. The mechanic where the car is must have given him my name & number. I had planned on calling him this weekend but he beat me to it.
For one ...... the black 72 Imperial coupe can be had, as well as a 74 Imperial, with some kind of rare option, that he has. He's sending more info on them.

We had a great converstion. He really loves the old Cbodys. I touched on the 61 300 to kind of feel him out and I think there is a little frustration with having 7-8 projects and none to drive and enjoy. I let it go at that and we are going to meet and discuss the subject of me getting the 72 and 74 Imperials to a point where he can sell them. I don't normally work on others projects like that ..... but the 61 300 is great motivation for me.

Will let y'all know how things turn out. Worse case ...... I'll have a new Mopar friend near me.

Back