Bastardized 1959 "Coronet" build

One of One! LOL!!!!!! Think they'll let me into Bowling Green with it?

Yup, pretty much those colors only rearranged a bit... tan on the roof and fins, red on the body...

I'd do it that way, too. Kinda like your donor car's current paint scheme.

I think this is going to turn out real nice. Of course, you have to put on the dual antennas for full effect. Corvette interior staying?
How about a picture of your 11 year build? I take it that's the blue/white truck?

My plan is to disguise the Corvette interior. It's still a work in progress in my warped brain. I'm thinking chop the highback seats to mid height. reupholster seats, door panels, etc all in 50s-ish style. Try to integrate the Coronet dash somehow... Early stages of thought.... I REALLY like the dual antennas but I'm not completely convinced they'll look as nice on mine as they do on that "full bodied" car.

Under the hood, I'm planning a fake firewall to hide some of the modern. Battery already moved to the rear (you know, where I really need more weight :) ). ECM and TAC moved from under hood to passenger's footwell.

Yup 11 year build is the blue/white truck, It's a 1941 Ford COE with a 1999 Corvette LS1 on a 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 chassis. see a trend here? :)

Buford_at_Milford_Oval.jpg

One of One! LOL!!!!!! Think they'll let me into Bowling Green with it?

Yup, pretty much those colors only rearranged a bit... tan on the roof and fins, red on the body...

Beautiful color scheme

And what will make your Corovette separate from all the others

Should be easy enough to add a V and an extra T and E to your badges!

My plan is to disguise the Corvette interior. It's still a work in progress in my warped brain. I'm thinking chop the highback seats to mid height. reupholster seats, door panels, etc all in 50s-ish style. Try to integrate the Coronet dash somehow... Early stages of thought.... I REALLY like the dual antennas but I'm not completely convinced they'll look as nice on mine as they do on that "full bodied" car.

Under the hood, I'm planning a fake firewall to hide some of the modern. Battery already moved to the rear (you know, where I really need more weight :) ). ECM and TAC moved from under hood to passenger's footwell.

Yup 11 year build is the blue/white truck, It's a 1941 Ford COE with a 1999 Corvette LS1 on a 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 chassis. see a trend here? :)

View attachment 590605
That's a badass truck, nice work.

some driver's door progress. Marked for Corvette door structure, bent in brake then cut. Tacked together and by some miracle still fits the car.

Drivers_door_cut_and_bent_on_car.jpg

Drivers_Door_in)brake.jpg

slow progress... More welding on left door, little by little, trying for minimal warpage (and my welding skills suck). Right door mocked up for the first time.

More_Doors_left.jpg

More_Doors_right1.jpg

More_Doors_Right2.jpg

Last edited:
It was a day of measuring... The dimensions for the Coronet skin, combined front/rear doors seem to be exactly the same side-to-side, but the fit onto the Corvette door structure doesn't match. I guess I'll measure the door structure next to see if Bowling Green built one door longer than the other... I'm off by about 1/4"

Mystery solved... The leading edge contours of the Coronet's front doors are different from one side of the car to the other. While the top and bottom width measurements are the same, laying the welded skin on top of the mocked up one shows the slightly different contours. Not a huge problem for me although one has to wonder how donor fender pieces will fit. Are the trailing edge contours of the fenders different from right to left also?

It's the other way around... The Coronet sheet metal isn't the same contour on the leading edge from Driver's side to Passenger's. Who knows, maybe a door was swapped on from some other car/model/year? Although under the door panels, all of them were black.

Oh ok, it may have been the builder too... I played with the right door skin some more and got it a little closer to the left door's dimensions. still not exact but close enough to feel good about putting the welder to it.

In other news... a buddy did a photoshop for me but missed the requirement about an open engine compartment and no fenders or the colors... However, the rendering is drop dead gorgeous, I might have to rethink this open engine compartment idea.... of course, the nose is stretched and where the hell will I find TWO noses?

Eli_Blue_Boris_Photoshop.jpg

as just an FYI: This is my own rudimentary photoshop concept using a Studebaker. I found the Coronet while looking for a decent Studey.

StudeRodPhotoShop_notop.jpg

Oh ok, it may have been the builder too... I played with the right door skin some more and got it a little closer to the left door's dimensions. still not exact but close enough to feel good about putting the welder to it.

In other news... a buddy did a photoshop for me but missed the requirement about an open engine compartment and no fenders or the colors... However, the rendering is drop dead gorgeous, I might have to rethink this open engine compartment idea.... of course, the nose is stretched and where the hell will I find TWO noses?

View attachment 595732
In keeping with the Corvette part, make the fenders and hood from fiberglass.

That looks great, colors and all!

All that it needs now is a Hellcat engine swap.

Kevin

I like both your ideas! Unfortunately, the glass nose or the sheet metal school probably won't happen... As for the hemi.... would it have the Hemi tick like my Ram? :-0

I have a line on a partial 61/62 Chrysler nose that I'm looking at this weekend. With the crashed donor fenders I might only need 1 complete nose to make it look like the rendering. I think I could leave the door open for this...

You''re in Ontario? What the hell is happening to your Leafs? I had high hopes they'd send Florida packing after the Panthers kicked my Bruins asses....

Back