bb 400

supernova

Reaction score
Hello guys, new here, what a great site. Im in need for some help on a bb 400. I have a 400 out of a 76 doba and would like to put it in a 68 ny two door. I dont have the funds to build a stroker, vary limited. looking for bottom end with great thottle responce and torqe, here are the details.

VEHICLE INFORMATION
Vehicle Year: 1976
Vehicle Make: chysler
Vehicle Model: cordoba
Vehicle Weight:
Vehicle Transmission: Automatic
Transmission Stall Speed: factory
Vehicle Transmission Model: 727
Vehicle Gear Ratio: 391
Tire Height:
Vehicle Intended Use: Oval Track
Vehicle Requires Inspection: No

ENGINE INFORMATION
Engine Year: 1976
Engine Manufacturer: chrysler
Engine Factory Cubic Inches: 400
Engine Current Cubic Inches: 400
Engine Compression Ratio: factory
Piston Bore Diameter: stock
Connecting Rod Length: stock
Crankshaft Stroke: stock
Desired RPM Range From: 0
Desired RPM Range To: 5000

INDUCTION
Intake Manifold Type: rpm performer dual
Ported Cylinder Heads: No

CYLINDER HEADS
Cylinder Head Manufacturer: 452
Cylinder Head Material: Cast Iron
Head Runner Volume: stock
Intake Valve Size:
Exhaust Valve Size:
Ported Heads: No
Rocker Arm Ratio: stock
Adjustable Valvetrain: No
Maximum Valve Lift Capacity:

FUEL DELIVERY
Fuel Delivery System Type: Carbureted
Fuel Injector Or Carb Size: 4 barrel 600 vacuum sec
Fuel Type: Pump Gas Unleaded
Fuel Octane Rating: 91

POWER ADDERS
Super Charger: No
Super Charger Type: Centrifugal
Supercharger Boost Amount:
Turbo Charger: No
Turbo Charger Count: One
Turbo Charger Size:
Turbo Boost Amount:
Nitrous: No
Nitrous Amount:
Nitrous Stages:

CURRENT SETUP
Current Cam Manufacturer: stock
Current Intake Duration:
Current Exhaust Duration:
Current Advertised Intake Duration:
Current Advertised Exhaust Duration:
Current Intake Valve Lift:
Current Exhaust Valve Lift:
Current Lobe Separation:
Current Intake Centerline:
Area For Improvement: More Low RPM Power

COMMENTS
Comments: I also have a set of 906, 516 heads

They recommended a 60301 kit.

i entered a rpm intake, but not sure. i have several 2 and 4 barrel oem intakes as well. what would you suggest for intake and carb. any other recommendations would be great

What condition is the 2dr '68 New Yorker in?

Depending on the condition of your car and your location, maybe I could find you something more suitable for circle track...? I have an '83 Cordoba...

That 400 isn't for a circle track.. It's for a ''Y framer'' derby car.

The big problem wit the stock 400 is low compression. It was 8.2 to 1 in 76...so that means new pistons to get the ratio to 9.2 to 1 where it will make some power and live on pump gas (for a naturally aspirated engine).

The 76 400 should have 452 heads on it which flow great and already have hardened exhaust seats...so you don't need to swap heads.

The 8.2 to 1 compression ratio is ideal if you want to run a supercharger.

That 400 isn't for a circle track.. It's for a ''Y framer'' derby car.

Your right it is for a derby car. The 68 is in real rough shape (came out of a salvage yard)and trust me if it was a good car to restore i would. When i filled out the form for the cam they didnt have a selection for derby motor. I was hoping with all the knowledge here i could get some advice. I did a compression test last night and all cyl had between 125 and 130 lbs of compression. What would be a good intake and carb and cam choice. Once again i love classic cars as i have a few, just asking for a little advice..

Your right it is for a derby car. The 68 is in real rough shape (came out of a salvage yard)and trust me if it was a good car to restore i would. When i filled out the form for the cam they didnt have a selection for derby motor. I was hoping with all the knowledge here i could get some advice. I did a compression test last night and all cyl had between 125 and 130 lbs of compression. What would be a good intake and carb and cam choice. Once again i love classic cars as i have a few, just asking for a little advice..

I have no problem with derby cars when there's no other recourse for these cars.

I have no problem with derby cars when there's no other recourse for these cars.
Derby guys are good guys in most cases.
They sell off the parts cheaply to guys like us who need them and then they have fun with the rusted out carcasses nobody wants anyway.
They get a bad rap in my opinion.

I use to derby years ago and I ran a stock 400 with a Carter AVF on top,no other goodies. Put that mill thru hell in a 73 Newport at three different venues,then into a 71 Imp for another two. Why spend all that dough and risk the chance of cooking it?

Derby guys are good guys in most cases.
They sell off the parts cheaply to guys like us who need them and then they have fun with the rusted out carcasses nobody wants anyway.
They get a bad rap in my opinion.

X2............:thumbsup:

Just looking for snap out of the hole, and the sound of the cam. Would like to put in a cam, lifters, timing gears, intake and a holley 600 and need to know what would be a good combo. I love the sport and the thrill but would never wreak a classic that could be restored..i dont just rip all the parts off and throw away, i try to sell or give stuff away to guys like yourselfs for a restoration.

As was noted - the 400 suffers from low static compression... Otherwise it's similar to a 340 in terms of basic design. If it were me I'd stick in a cam with more exh duration - you're still forcing it to breathe through manifolds. I see a note about a blower. Will it have one? That will make a big difference in my recommendations but based on naturally aspirated I'd stick something in with around 220°-225° duration @ .050 that will take a drop in single spring and give you power out of the hole and under 4Krpm. I can;t see you getting too much higher in rpms given it's for a derby car - not running laps.

moper, will stock springs work, or should i try to get comp 911 springs. how about the stock ignition, should i spring for a pertronix ignitor 3 kit?

Back