Beating the Dead Wiper Horse Again!

NYB Lover

Reaction score
Guys, finally got my 78 NY home from Kansas. Working on the essentials to get it road worthy. Wipers do not work. I have not delved into this too much because I have been working on other things and I was unaware of the wiper issue. (which still wouldn't have kept me from buying it!) Which part of this getup is no longer available? I can move the wiper manually and both driver/passenger side still move in tandem. I removed the leaf catcher and the driver side is disconnected from the wiper motor. I can see the white plastic disc but I do not see any way of connecting it. I've searched around the inet but I'm not exactly sure what to be looking for. Any help would be appreciated, as I am a novice but am already in LOVE! Will post some pics after she's cleaned up.

The 1978 large wiper cam is the 2 plastic pieces that mount to the the wiper motor. No parts available and used parts will just crumble. You have to modify it with 74-77 Formal small cam parts. Once you cut and weld the small cam parts on the small cam which is still the same as the the other wiper linkage bushings will work. You can find the bushings in the Help section but I recommend getting them from Dodge. The OEM bushings fit a lot better and will last forever. Ask for a 96 Dodge Full Size Van wiper linkage bushing.

DSC02239.JPG

DSC02240.JPG

That is the half that bolts to the wiper motor. You will have to cut the small end off the donor linkage and weld it to the existing 1978 wiper linkage arm that connects to the wiper motor. I don't have a picture of that.

Thank you. I will have to try and find donor parts. There is absolutely none of these avail locally. I guess the salavage yards crushed them long ago. Might have better luck with the 96 bushings from the dealer here, who about laughed me out of the parts dept when I asked about anything 1978

Thank you. I will have to try and find donor parts. There is absolutely none of these avail locally. I guess the salavage yards crushed them long ago. Might have better luck with the 96 bushings from the dealer here, who about laughed me out of the parts dept when I asked about anything 1978

I would get the FSM's and a Parts Manual from EBay.

You can also get paper and CD copies from
http: //www.autobooksbishko.com/

With part numbers you can find NOS parts from

www.partsvoice.com

www.arizonaparts.com

Back