Time for the Heater Box Rebuild

mgm1986

Reaction score
Next on the list was to pull the heater box for inspection and rebuild. The heater hoses were disconnected and bypassed under the hood so I suspected a leaky core which is exactly what I found. I also found the home of the mouse that I found inside of the drivers side stub frame. All throughout the car I have found remnants of mice/squirrels and their food stores.

A quick 12v to the blower motor confirmed it is still working although it sounds like some of the mouse house got inside the cage. Never worked on a heater box but I am planning to break it down and hopefully get it working again. Probably have some questions along the way but the seemingly hard part of removing it wasn't all that bad.

:thumbsup:

Heater Core Mouse House.jpg

Heater box disassembled. Has definitely been apart before.

Both Vacuum actuators appear to be working as does the blower motor itself. It seems that one of the actuators actually cracked part of the box where it is riveted, likely due to something preventing the flap from moving (mouse nests!). Will inspect further after cleaning.

The resistors couldn't be simpler so I threw an ohm meter on to confirm my suspicions about resistance through each to control fan speed. A little cleaning is all they need.

Should be easy enough to clean and reassemble. Going to order the rebuild kit and start looking for a core.

Heater Box Disassembled.jpg
Heater Blower Motor Resistors.jpg

Heater box disassembled. Has definitely been apart before.

Both Vacuum actuators appear to be working as does the blower motor itself. It seems that one of the actuators actually cracked part of the box where it is riveted, likely due to something preventing the flap from moving (mouse nests!). Will inspect further after cleaning.

The resistors couldn't be simpler so I threw an ohm meter on to confirm my suspicions about resistance through each to control fan speed. A little cleaning is all they need.

Should be easy enough to clean and reassemble. Going to order the rebuild kit and start looking for a core.

View attachment 630406View attachment 630407
I thought there were 3 actuators, but maybe that’s only on a/c cars.

I believe they are:

1. recirculate/ fresh air
2. Heat temperature blend
3. Defrost

One of these is only a single control (one vacuum input). The other two are dual control. No?

On a non AC car I believe the temperature blend door is just moved by the cable from the temp lever, no vacuum involved.

Thank you again for everyones valuable input on this step of the project!

Heater box has been repaired and reassembled. There were a few cracks in the fiberglass box that needed repair and some of the metal panels had rusted pretty badly from the leaky heater core that was removed.

I repaired the fiberglass cracks with reinforced resin and used POR15 to paint the rusty metal bits that were badly pitted. I used rust-oleum rust reformer on the less corroded panels and reinstalled everything using the kit from Detroit Muscle (great kit). New heater core from Rockauto, fingers crossed no issues with it. Seems like a quality unit and it holds pressure which is good news.

Going to wait to reinstall the box until I go through the wiring which will take time so I won't truly know if this is working correctly for some time. It seems like a very simple setup though so I don't anticipate any issues. Also need to repair or replace one of the defroster vents before reinstalling in the dash.

POR15 Rust repair.jpg
20231217_124415.jpg
20231217_133427.jpg

Does anyone know where to find a new or acceptable replacement for the duct work that connects the heater box to the fresh air inlet on the passenger side pillar? It is an oval shaped duct that routes fresh air into the heater core. It seems like it was a pretty heavy duty material.

In the attached picture I circled where this duct work connects on the heater box. This is the only thing stopping me from reinstalling the box.

Heater Core Mouse House.jpg

Back