Bess, my 1966 Imperial, Has Issues (but i still love her)...

Sooooo....Bess has developed a taste for coils. This last one went for less than a week. I have been seeing one issue after another ever since that one little 'o incident that occurred a few weeks ago...
It was a dark and stormy night (truly was) and I had just rolled back in from a 90 mile drive, in which Bess got drenched. Pulling into the garage, I noticed her stumbling a bit, and thought, "Hmmm, maybe some moisture up around the coil/distributor. Anyway, shut her down went inside. A couple hours later the wife rolls in with, "You left your lights on, I turned them off." Oh, fuuddgge. Ran out, started her up, let her run a bit to re-charge.
Next morning, couldn't find my keys. Finally went out to the garage and found them. In Bess. In the ignition. In the on position... One battery and set of points later, I thought I was in the clear. No. Been through three coils and a set of points. Any ideas? Could I have created a problem in the ignition switch?

Leaving the key on will smoke the points and coil. Is the ballast resistor still wired into your primary ignition circuit. Bypassing that will make it eat points.

When you replaced coils for your points ignition with ballast resistor,, did you use a 6 volt coil not a 12 volt??? Using a 12 volt coil will be a very weak spark through a ballast resistor..and may not reach the plug possibly.

I would look at the specs and see. When I replaced mine I made very sure it was a 6 volt coil not a 12 volt. Some that were for my application in the description were actually 12 volt coils .I made sure it said 6 volt. What is your make and part number for the coil? It maybe ok but best to be sure.

I will pull it off tomorrow and check for sure, but I believe it's this one:
PART # :
MPE IC12SB
PRODUCT LINE :
Mileage Plus Electrical

I looked it up. That is a 12 volt coil. You need a 6 volt coil.

Yep, that's it. Please enlighten me on the diff and why they would show that coil for a 440 application?

My guess is more people converted to electronic ignition either Mopar or other and fewer needed 6 volt coils. Please do check for your self with your part number at the Napa sight under the specifications tab. From what you gave me that is what I found but don't take my word for it.
If it is a 12 volt coil it was fine on start up but starving when running.

My 440 runs points and is a 1969.

That could very.possibly explain your statement you had "spark at the coil and no spark at the plugs"

I think maybe you picked up my thread by accident. I don't recall making that statement about my situation.

I think maybe you picked up my thread by accident. I don't recall making that statement about my situation.

My bad ,,that wasn't you. That was my recollection from another post along the same lines here recently.

Back