Bess, my 1966 Imperial, Has Issues (but i still love her)...

I then found this post regarding trying to run a 12 volt rated ignition coil after a ballast resistor instead of a 6 volt coil .

"""Now: You ask about a 12 volt coil working on 6 volts. I know this is math and most people don't like math but since you're developing a magnetic field within a coil using six volts, when that field breaks down (which is what breaker points do) you should get a spark. That coil is designed to work on 6 volts and its output should be around 12,000 volts. But if you use a 12 volt coil that may be designed to give you a 12,000 volt spark, powering it with only 6 volts will NOT give you half the power (AKA 6,000 volts) but you'll get 1/4th the spark power. In other words, 3,000 volts. WHY? Because of the inverse square law, which states that energy applied over an area will be four times weaker at half the voltage. """

This is how I have understood it .

The coil is designed to operate at this reduced voltage.

I then found this post regarding trying to run a 12 volt rated ignition coil after a ballast resistor instead of a 6 volt coil .

"""Now: You ask about a 12 volt coil working on 6 volts. I know this is math and most people don't like math but since you're developing a magnetic field within a coil using six volts, when that field breaks down (which is what breaker points do) you should get a spark. That coil is designed to work on 6 volts and its output should be around 12,000 volts. But if you use a 12 volt coil that may be designed to give you a 12,000 volt spark, powering it with only 6 volts will NOT give you half the power (AKA 6,000 volts) but you'll get 1/4th the spark power. In other words, 3,000 volts. WHY? Because of the inverse square law, which states that energy applied over an area will be four times weaker at half the voltage. """

Again... it's current, not voltage that is reduced. If there was no current draw from the ignition, the voltage after the resistor would still be 12 volts. Ohms Law.

You've taken this thread off topic and this should be discussed further in it's own thread.

Ok, guys, you are STILL posting on my thread regarding Bess, my 1966 Imperial...
You are 100% correct but it does roll like this sometimes. I'm not going to post more on the "6 volt coil subject here. I promise (maybe)... LOL.

Unsubscribed.
Good luck with your car.

Back