Bess, my 1966 Imperial, Has Issues (but i still love her)...

In any case you need a 6 volt coil with points and ballast resistor to have any good chance of points setup working well. And they can.

Check the points condenser also if the problem continues the new one are junk.

I use Blue Streak points and Condensors with good results. I order them up at my local auto parts store and get them that day or the next morning. I wouldn't get any off brand from Auto Zone. Getting Blue Streak from there would be fine if offered of course.

I sell nos delco sets if needed. 15 shipped got a deal on them might as well pass it on this hobby is to expensive.

Update: Problem (hopefully) solved. It looks like a loose ground wire from distributor to coil was the culprit. Didn't help that I was off on the points adjustment. Timing/fuel mixture tweaked and she's purring.

I would still recommend a 6 volt coil for better spark.
Good news though and am glad you found that.

I have plenty of them scored 100 sets. I will be at carlise in July also.

Update on Bess and the timing issues: I discovered no vacuum occurring at the vacuum advance port on the Carter AFB. What could cause that?

Update on Bess and the timing issues: I discovered no vacuum occurring at the vacuum advance port on the Carter AFB. What could cause that?
Are you sure? Is it a "timed" vacuum port or "constant" vacuum port??
Revving up and checking for vacuum it may then increase vacuum hence "timed" port.
A constant vacuum port will have vacuum at ANY RPM.
Hope this helps.

Are you sure? Is it a "timed" vacuum port or "constant" vacuum port??
Revving up and checking for vacuum it may then increase vacuum hence "timed" port.
A constant vacuum port will have vacuum at ANY RPM.
Hope this helps.
After I hit "send", it hit me that there probably shouldn't be any vacuum at idle from this port, since it's hooked to the distributor! Duh.

Well I am very curious why a few disagree with me . I would gladly be corrected. Are you guys saying on a points ignition that runs a ballast resistor at 6 volts when running it is ok to run a 12 volt ignition coil on 6 volts? Or are you saying the engine will at least start with a 12 volt coil because when keyed to start it runs 12 volts anyways? What I am saying is when using a 12 volt coil on a 6 volt supply [when engine is running,not at startup] you will get only around 25% the spark with the 12 volt coil on 6 volts as compared to a 6 volt coil on 6 volts. Maybe I am missing something here. Fill me in guys.

Well I am very curious why a few disagree with me . I would gladly be corrected. Are you guys saying on a points ignition that runs a ballast resistor at 6 volts when running it is ok to run a 12 volt ignition coil on 6 volts? Or are you saying the engine will at least start with a 12 volt coil because when keyed to start it runs 12 volts anyways? What I am saying is when using a 12 volt coil on a 6 volt supply [when engine is running,not at startup] you will get only around 25% the spark with the 12 volt coil on 6 volts as compared to a 6 volt coil on 6 volts. Maybe I am missing something here. Fill me in guys.
His car is 12 volts, I thought you had some secret weapon that we should be running a 6 volt coil on a 12 volt system. Why do you think his car is 6 volts?

A 6 volt coil in a 12 volt system will not even fire the engine.
Add a ballast resistor and the 6 volts is down to 3 or so volts in run mode.
As everybody here already knows,our cars when in "start" mode,the ballast resistor is bypassed to give the coil 12 full volts to fire the engine. In "run" mode (regardless of points or electronic ignition) the ballast resistor give the coil 9 volts which all it needs to run the ignition system.
I also learned the the Pertronix cannot run on the 9 volts from the ballast resistor. I ran a switched 12 volt source to feed the Pertronix.
How many of us ran a jumper wire to the coil when we did not have a spare ballast resistor in the glovebox?
The 6 volt coil suggestion is a poor one,sorry,eh?

Again, the ballast resistor limits current... Not voltage.

It's time for some basic electricity lessons. Once you can understand about how current (how much the ignition draws) and resistance, only then can you understand that what you are saying is (trying to be nice) not exactly how it works.

Voltage, Current, Resistance, and Ohm's Law - learn.sparkfun.com

I know this is all can be confusing. Just start reading and trying to understand.

Thanks guys for your understanding. I do appreciate it. I will say for some reason I have installed 6 volt ignition coil in my Fury and it works great. I have some research to do. Thanks.

I have never said this car had a 6 volt battery. 12 volts of course.

Last edited:
This is how I have understood it .

The coil is designed to operate at this reduced voltage.

Back