Best fuel line to go off of

mrzods13

Reaction score
Well I bought a edelbrock 3596 fuel filter, I like to bend my own line but where the fuel filter usually sits behind the alternator the edelbrock filter is too big, I bought a jegs nhra approves 6an hose with the fitting on one side along with the carb adapter that screws in so you can screw the line right on to the carb. I bought the russell fittings. I have seen some pictures of people running hose by the pass fender away from header heat but not sure if that would work being it is 3 feet long approx. length from the carb to the pump that way, no sharp bends though. Any suggestions or should I rebend the 5/16 and stick with the smaller 5/16 end fuel filter. Here is the mock up I did with the braided, I have the hose brackets to prevent the filter from banging wrapped silicone around also to cushion just in case.I might shorten the braided hose more. I think I might just forget it and bend the 5/16, but looking for opinions.

20150228_220628.jpg20150228_220632.jpg

20150228_220628.jpg

20150228_220632.jpg

Na a spectrea silicone coupler i cut and wrapped looks like one though

Where should I mount it closer to the carb, I will most likley scrap it and go back to the smaller one with hard line, just mount it where I usually see in pictures of other 383s, I seen they have it by the intake area in the open.

Is your 383 requiring more fuel than the stock set up can provide?

That is the way I have had it, but I think I had too many bends with the line I made, I bought a 4 barrel fuel line for a road runner from right stuff and looked exactly like the picture of factory, but they were junk the fittings leaked, so originally I went off there line, but the air cleaner hit the line so I had it make a bend down going from the carb. Using a spacer was too much because I have the rpm intake on it.

Did you buy both the hard line that comes from the pump and the separate hard line that goes to the carb?
The pump line has an NPT fitting so that can't (or shouldn't) leak and the line to the carb only uses one standard fitting.
10936.gif
Also, did both lines have the rolled edge ends where the filter rubber hoses connect to so that doesn't leak?

The one I made myself out of brake line didn't leak just the right stuff one the fittings didn't thread right and I had no problems with the fittings from the brake line fittings smooth threading and no leaking. Yes they had rolled edges. It just seems like the carb is starving for fuel, I am looking at the line I made and I am pretty sure there are too many sharp bends and unnecessary ones as well. I bought the set from right stuff that has the pump to filter and filter to carb.

If you don't like the bends to go behind alternator why not go up if front of the alternator behind the bracket then up around the dist., who put that in front anyway lol, I usually try to stay under the vacuum adv canister and stay low to clear air cleaner. Your fuel pump and the little tiny holes on the inverted flare fittings are probably more restrictive than the 5/16 and a few bends. Get a Carter high performance pump if your having fuel starvation and put 3/8 instead. If you got a Carter pump you can put the filter horizontal under the alt.

It is the carter M4862 right, does it need a fuel regulator? It is 1/4 NPT, I was looking to see if there was an adapter for 5/8 18 female to 1/4 NPT so I could screw a 3/8 line right in but I can always just run a small piece of hose to 3/8 hard line and continue from there. Could use a 1/4 npt with a 3/8 barb on it.

Okay sorry I see since I zoomed in. The filter is 3/8 barbed right, I would 90° out of pump into 3/8 barb just enough hose to put filter tight, out of the filter hose to 3/8, line up between alt and water pump housing.

I will try with the stock pump to see. I bought a $2 brass fitting that will screw into the pump outlet and I can screw a 3/8 line into it. Its a 5/8-18 Female to 1/2-20 male. Maybe that will work. I don't like using hose just where it connects to the fuel filter on both sides. I will mess with it. I will try what you said but with the stock pump before dropping the $100 for the carter. I will be removing that steel braided and it will sit in one of my many extra parts boxes.

Back