Best sounding exhaust mufflers

I am about to order a TTI full exhaust system too in January and facing the same problem. Gonna order a 2.5" for my stock 383 because I read 3" would be too big and actually quieter. Is that fact or just wrong? SO many people so many opinions......

As a sound guy I do have some expectations on the sound......want deep rumble with middle to no drone but I want it significally louder than stock. Got my eyes on some Borla ATAK or Magnaflows ( but don´t know what exact muffler).....

It´s a diffucult decision to make.....

I have watched lot´s videos on youtube but it´s gets even harder to make a decision...

Maybe you guys can help somehow....

am about to order a TTI full exhaust system too in January and facing the same problem. Gonna order a 2.5" for my stock 383 because I read 3" would be too big and actually quieter.
I have a 2.5" manifold back system on one car, 383 4bbl, and it's quiet. Get on it and you hear it, but at speed you don't notice it.

I have a 3" system with tti headers, and you notice the exhaust much more. Still quiet enough to talk to the person next to you at highway speeds, but you aren't yelling.

I'm leaning towards a 3" manifold back system for a car, it may get a rebuilt engine down the road with some speed parts for good measure.

2 1/2" with a H pipe is perfect for a street car. Just add hemi mufflers. This is especially true in a convertible where exhaust "drone" can be an issue.

Right now its not about performance, it´s about the look and sound. it´s more like I think a 3" fits better on a huge C-Body related to its size (but it´s just 0.5" difference so you could also say who cares right?)....
SO many questions....will 3" fit as good as 2.5"? Is 3" really quieter on a stock engine? Does 2.5" look too tiny? Do I have more issues with drone when using 3"? Read so many forums and heard so many opionins that really didnt help to make my decision easier...

I already have a 90% rebuilt engine and will some day (everything between 1-10 years) stroke it to xxx. That´s why I kinda think I should go 3" now to be safe in the future. But who knows and it does NOT happen I do have an way too large exhaust and it´s even quieter so I will be unhappy too.
Weird dilemma....

Want kinda loud (way more than noticable) but not screaming that you can talk to passengers....
It´s a tough decision for me although it´s just a 0.5" difference......

Last edited:
I vote 2.5 TTI with H pipe. I have removed 3" W/Flowmaster systems from a couple of customers cars for being too loud, clearance issues around shocks, axel and no performance gain on a street car. AFAIK The 3" starts to be a benefit with 500 HP + wide open.
If you want a good louder sound go with the A-body size Dynomax turbos, shorter then the B/C body muffler.
The Dynomax turbos did very well on the Engine masters muffler test, came in second and for a third of the price of the number one muffler.

Hello everyone I currently have swapped my comp cam to the Hughes whiplash cam for low compression 440 for my 79 440 out of a rv my car is now choppy which i like but I currently have glasspack cherry bombs on it and tbh I’m not really feeling it anymore. Any recommendations for getting a semi loud sound with little to no drone sound? I have looked into black widow, flowmaster, magnaflow, HighFlo Performance / Sweet Thunder Exhaust.

When I picked up my '73 Navajo a while ago, it had FlowMaster 40s on it. They sounded great, but they were TOO LOUD. The exhaust shop I work with suggested I go with FM 50s; they offered to exchange them for 70s, if I didn't like them. The 50s were quieter, but I knew they would drone and be too loud on a trip. I went with the 70s, and they turned out to be perfect for me. They sound good and they were unobtrusive during a recent trip from Maryland to Michigan and back.

I guess it all depends on what you are going to do with your car. If yer gonna just bar-hop with it, loud mufflers are great. If you plan to take highway trips, you don't want drone, and you don't want loud. . .

For my 69 Fury III 440 when I got the car I told my muffler/racer guy I wanted a full rich fat sounding exhaust with no tinny twangy high partials in it. {It had blown out glass packs that sounded like ****} I also said I don't want it to sound like every Challenger/Cuda I see at car shows ,which means no Flowmasters. Nothing against Flowmasters as they are a classic sound I personally hear too often. He gave me a set of Magnaflows and I couldn't be happier even years later. I will be very interested how they sound with my 512 ci stroker when installed.

View attachment 503663

SOunds very interesting. Want that rich fat tone too with if possible not much droning. Do you have a soundfile or can you record one please? Which specific magnaflows you got?

I'm an auto mechanic and I bend pipe, so of course I have an opinion, lol, I have built many systems in the last ten plus years of bending pipe, usually leaning towards loud, my Newport has Magnaflow 12 inch bullet mufflers mounted at the torsion bar crossmember, stock manifolds, 2.5 inch pipe to the rear bumper, it's loud, but i still rather that glass pack sound over flowfasters or magnaflows, both of those mufflers sound good but flowmasters are loud and magnaflows drone, if I did it over now I would put super turbo mufflers on it, I've been loving on the super turbo lately, I used to find them too quiet, I'm probably just getting old, you can get them from anyone, Dynomax, Cherry Bomb, Thrush, all the same, not a c body but my 1980 Buick Electra with a built SBC sounds awesome with them and not too obnoxious

I use Borla Mufflers on my 69 300 440 HP and find the exhaust tone pretty pleasant. Specs are two and a half inch in two and a half inch out.

Last edited:
Personally, i always liked magnaflows, nice deep tone on idle, and very quiete when highway cruising. Really depends on how you use your car. Short weekend rides, loud is fine, but touring and clocking miles it's nice to have some peace in the cabin. IMO

I am just afraid that 2.5" isnt loud enough. Or can I tune the loudness with the muffler enough that it makes almost no difference to 3"?

I had a bad plug wire, but this is with tti headers, 3" pipes, and super turbo mufflers that came with the exhaust.

[QUOTE="Stoffauge,

Want kinda loud (way more than noticable) but not screaming that you can talk to passengers....
It´s a tough decision for me although it´s just a 0.5" difference......[/QUOTE]

You will not be happy with 3" pipes, unless your building a race car. They will appear bigger than they are and there will be clearance issues.

[QUOTE="Stoffauge,

It´s a tough decision for me although it´s just a 0.5" difference......

You will not be happy with 3" pipes, unless your building a race car. They will appear bigger than they are and there will be clearance issues.[/QUOTE]
My tti 3" pipes fit surprisingly well, just saying. But they are overkill for a factory stock engine.

Back