Big Block Engine Identification through pics

Reaction score
Is there anything to look for when a seller does not know what kind of engine they have in a vehicle which has a big block but could have either a B or RB engine to identify which it is by looking at the pictures? Are there any noticeable external differences between the two that could be seen in pics?

Look for this I'd tab on the top driver's side, front if engine, if it has A/C it can be difficult to see.

hp2.gif

And there is the block casting numbers

castdate.gif

The above is the date and part number.

I understand that but is there a way just by seeing pics of the engine? At least to know which family the engine was or am I hoping for too much?

Excellent information. Thanks. Probably be really hard to see in an advertisement photo but that is good information.

Measure the width of the Intake, port to port. if it is 10 1/2 wide it is a 383-400. If it closer to 12, it is a 440.

Probably the best visual, fool-proof method is that first picture. That was something of the "birth certificate", as it noted undersize this or that and also had the engine size stamped on it, as I recall. This was before they started stamping the VIN on the blocks. That information, symbols and such, was supposed to help an engine rebuilder know what they had, most possibly while the car was in warranty, in order to order parts. That was all explained in the MOTOR Manual I have for 1966 and also should be in the factory Chrysler service manual.

Other than that . . . as mentioned above, you can ask for a measurement between the two front intake manifold bolts. Unfortunately, the cosmetics on the B/RB engines were very similar, through the years. There would be model year differences as to whether the pcv was in a "can" or plugged into a rubber grommet, or the old draft tube was attached. Emissions-related things like heat stoves on the exhaust manifolds (or lack thereof), air cleaner snorkel-end shapes and styles.

If you're going to be chasing date-coded blocks and such, have to check the casting number and date codes.

CBODY67

How about the quick visual differences which can be seen in engine compartment pictures between wedge style engines and B / RB block engines? just wonderingbe cause some folks selling these old cars which have sat for years have no idea what engines are in them.

One really quick way is if you see it has a 2bbl carb, it's a B.

4bbl carb could go either way, but the 2bbl was never offered on a RB engine.

How about the quick visual differences which can be seen in engine compartment pictures between wedge style engines and B / RB block engines? just wonderingbe cause some folks selling these old cars which have sat for years have no idea what engines are in them.

You would have to get the seller to take you a specific picture of the identifying areas.
Engines are either
Hemi head
(spark plugs through valve cover)

Polyspherical head
(small block, later 60s would be a 318,distributor in rear, scalloped valve covers)

Wedge head
A/LA/B/RB
A 273/318/340/360 distributor in rear
B Low deck, no raised pad on drivers side, ID under distributor
RB Raised deck, raised pad on driver's side, webbing around raised area of driver's side head (Thanks Mr C!)
If you can get a seller to crawl under the car, to get a pic of the casting number would work too.
aa.jpg

Back