BIGGEST WHEEL & TIRE Size for Rear Axle on 1971 Chrysler Newport

1973-Plymouth-Fury-Brown-6344115.jpg

I put an couple of extra leaf springs in my 68 Polara in about 84 or 85 when I was in high school. It was a little saggy in the rear. They were from an old Ford 150 axle in the junk pile. It probably gave me an extra 4-5” of height in the back. It rode like a lumber wagon and steered like guiding a hog with two sticks. I didn’t have enough castor adjustment to compensate. And it still had the stock 14” tires on it. I thought it was cool for about 6 months, but got tired of trying to keep it between the lines.
I took the two springs back out plus one of my mid length springs and installed one of the heavier Ford springs of the same length. I still have the helpers in my spring pack today.

Looking forward to what you decide to do. In my opinion she is beautiful already.

Welcome @Pablo! She looks sweet just how she looks.

Whereabouts in Chicago are you? Im out in Lombard.

Btw, what are you planning to do with the wheels and tires if you get a new set? I would take them off of your hands if you are willing to sell them to me :D

Hahahaha! I knew someone was gonna mention that before I got a chance to. If you see any old television or especially the action flicks that Jim brown made , I can’t get over how sky high the ride height front and back was on these cars.

Lowering the front slightly (1/2" - 1" or so) will give it a different stance, and the back bumper will go up slightly (like a see-saw with the rear wheels as the pivot). When I had the front rebuilt, the shop set the front about 3/4" lower than it was previously, which gave it a better stance (IMO), and helped over-the-hood visibility too. BUT...you shouldn't just do this, as it throws off the geometry. You have to have a shop re-align it.

I have 235-75-15's and it's already a pain to get the rear wheels off, with skirts removed. They barely clear between the drums and wheel opening with the axle jacked at a diagonal. Any wider and it'll be almost impossible.

Hi ALL :)
I'm looking to raise the rear of My Newport ( to get that 70's - 80's Street Machine Look )
& am looking to see if anyone know what is the widest & tallest tire I can put on the rear axle , with out tubbing the car?
I would really like to put a deep dish 15 x 10 wheel in the axle
Picture below is the look I'm going for... but in My C Body.

http://vipernationinternational.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/71-Satellite-GTS-001.jpg

I would suggest that you use those mopar rims you have and place on the rear 255/70R15 and on the front I would go with 235/70R15 this gives you just over an inch height difference(total diamenter) on the rear vs the front. You could also go with 225/70R15 on the front that is another half inch front drop but a 225/70 might be to small looking (IMO) for a full sized fusie. You could also and 1 extra leaf spring on both sides with the cargo shocks(coil-over) this combo will give you an inch and a half alone. A slight rake is fine for a c-bodie (IMO) but only 1"-2" max but what ever floats your land yacht. I will include a couple of pics of a 69 Monaco with 255/70's on the rear and 235/70's up front and a 71 New Yorker with the added leafs and coil overs shocks. Tires on the 71 are 235/75 out back and 225/75 up front. Slight rake only. Torsion bars can be adjusted also for height but you might be playing with havoc on your front end components..you could also get rear air-shocks if you want to really raise the rear if you were to go with 10' rims out back you would have to go with sir shocks to clear the fender lips but that kills your comfort and ruins the look (IMO)

received_10154324709323222.jpeg

received_10154324709523222.jpeg

received_10154324709368222.jpeg

received_10155926567653222.jpeg

Back