1971 newport tire size

GOLDMYN

Reaction score
I know, it's been said a zillon times, "what's the biggest tire I can put on the rear" Well, I read all the threads and I have nearly new tires but are 15 years old so I'm updating them. The current size is P225-75-15, I'm trying to fit P235-75-15 under it and no go. I've dropped the suspension but, still no luck. My question, Do I need to unattach the shocks to drop further? I appreciate your response. mike

DSC07684.JPG

DSC07543.JPG

I know, it's been said a zillon times, "what's the biggest tire I can put on the rear" Well, I read all the threads and I have nearly new tires but are 15 years old so I'm updating them. The current size is P225-75-15, I'm trying to fit P235-75-15 under it and no go. I've dropped the suspension but, still no luck. My question, Do I need to unattach the shocks to drop further? I appreciate your response. mike

View attachment 633712

View attachment 633713

Mike: How are you jacking up the car? If you are jacking it up with the jack under the diff, you won't get enough clearance. Try jacking the car up near where the bumper attaches. That should extend / drop the suspension enough so you can mount the tires.

P235/75R15 fits in a fuselage Imperial and they are the same basic body. You should have no trouble at all getting those tires to fit.

Yes, I'm using the floor jack under the pumpkin. I have nothing I can use to get the butt higher. How about I take the buggy over to the local " we don't work on old cars" garage and plead with them. I'm not sure the young guy would understand the logic

I have lifted by the pumpkin to just off the floor then set down on jack stands under the axle. Then lift the body at the rear near the bumper to get that separation.

Yes, I'm using the floor jack under the pumpkin. I have nothing I can use to get the butt higher. How about I take the buggy over to the local " we don't work on old cars" garage and plead with them. I'm not sure the young guy would understand the logic
Look at the frame by the front spring hanger. Place your floor jack under that and lift the body, one side at a time. I often put a hockey puck or piece of wood on the floor jack saddle to spread the force a bit.

Another option is you lift at the pumpkin as far as you can and place a jack stand under the frame (described above) and let the floor jack down which will drop the axle.

If you want to keep trying it with the jack under the pumpkin, let the air out of the tire and it may make it small enough to sneak it in there.

Yes, I've tried all the above, I put the jack stand in front by the perch and let the axle drop, take out the old tire and then completely drop the axle and I can pull the floor jack out, I still cannot get the tire in, seems like the only thing restricting any further travel are the shock absorbers?

Yes, I've tried all the above, I put the jack stand in front by the perch and let the axle drop, take out the old tire and then completely drop the axle and I can pull the floor jack out, I still cannot get the tire in, seems like the only thing restricting any further travel are the shock absorbers?
At first blush, I would say to disconnect the shocks, but that's not going to work if you need to change a tire on the side of the road.

The question is if you have the right shocks or not.

I have 235-70-15 tires on 7" wheels on my '70 300, so your tires should fit.

The shocks were purchased for a 1968 New Yorker which I assumed would fit, and they did, As I reread your post, I haven't tried jacking on the side of the car BUT the cars are in cold storage here and there's just room to wiggle in there. I suppose I can wait until spring. Things wouldn't go this way if I owned a chevy. everything fits on a chevy.

Have you got a bumper jack? If so, that should get you home.

that's a though, thanks everyone for the comments. That's my 68 TNT cozy spot under the car cover and blocked off from my heater

DSC07685.JPG

On the rear, jack up one side at a time, it will angle the axle and the tire will go in there just fine.

View attachment 633712

View attachment 633713

If I recall correctly, your car had the fender skirts option - I personally feel they make the car look too heavy in the back and if you ever want to change tires, you need to take them off to do that - just one other reason to toss them. Otherwise you should be able to jack the car up by the pumpkin and place jack stands underneath the rear frame or other load bearing area and let the axle drop and you should be able to work the tire/wheel assembly in place although even then the clearance isn't great. I always put the biggest tire I can on my cars and that is nearly always 235/75/15. Anything else makes these cars look like lowriders.

On the rear, jack up one side at a time, it will angle the axle and the tire will go in there just fine.
That thought makes alot of sense, think I'll give that a try , see, that why I came to the forum

Replacement shocks are too short, I had that problem on three Imperials here, I found the correct shock by back searching original part number.
I looked through other heavy Chrysler products and fount that the rear Ramcharger shocks KG5413 are very close to my Imperial shocks.
KG5413 Ext 24.45" Comp 15" Travel 9.45"
The shock on my Imperial is a Monroe 32128, supersedes to Monroe 34854 or KYB 344086 Dodge W series truck 70s/80s.
I ordered the KG5413 with a pair of KG4507.
Also watch for your rear brake flex line being stretched when letting axel drop. Do one side at a time to help not stretch hose. 235/75R15 will fit and look correct.

View attachment 633712

??

I've got some rear shocks on order, just in case that's the problem. I'm too old to muscle tires around, I know you guys don't understand, but @ 75 years old, I have no arm strength left. In 1968 I could do the Marine Corps physical with the best of them. not now.

I've got some rear shocks on order, just in case that's the problem. I'm too old to muscle tires around, I know you guys don't understand, but @ 75 years old, I have no arm strength left. In 1968 I could do the Marine Corps physical with the best of them. not now.
GABRIEL has a nice line of shocks, that I installed on my 1970 300. Go to Rock Auto. Yes, it is possible that yours are too short. Keep us posted!

Back