Bill Hirsch paint

polarus

Reaction score
Recently I started painting the engine in my 72 Polara, in the past I've always used Mopar brand paint but the Blue paint is impossible to find. A friend recommended Hirsch brand automotive paint, the problem I'm running into is the paint will not dry on anything made of rubber, (valve cover grommets, spark plug looms.) My friend had never had a problem in the past but when he painted his engine ( Hirsch Street Hemi Orange) he ran into the same problem. Just wondering if anybody here has had the same issue. I'm going to clean the valve cover grommets and prime then paint to see if that solves the problem.

Hirsch takes two weeks to fully dry/cure.
Their paint is runny and a pain to work with.
Aircraft hardness is baloney.
I used the Chrysler Blue. Will not buy Bill Hirsch again

I remember a multi-page thread with all kinds of comparisons and photos, but the bottom line is once it’s in the engine bay Chrysler corporate blue is Chrysler corporate blue. I used Dupli-Color 1631 Blue engine paint. It was $8 a can and I think it looks great.

AD0CBA98-D911-4A4D-A6C0-C14272A2AB3D.jpeg

When I couldn't find Mopar Blue I asked around and that was recommended, I should have used Dupli-color, valve covers were painted three weeks ago and the grommets are still wet.

Used to be that the Chrysler Corp Blue engine paint was in the Mopar Performance catalog and could be ordered by any Chrysler dealer (maybe in a 6-can case?) or some online MP dealers. Is that not the case any more? Trying to find in at the auto supply stores, in "replacement" brands, might be difficult sometimes.

The OTHER thing is that unless what you get is a licensed Chrysler repro item, the shades can vary, by observation.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

I remember a multi-page thread with all kinds of comparisons and photos,
Indeed, guilty as charged your Honor! See the following:

I went through the same questions for Medina, my 1971 Monaco two years ago -- see the discussions and links starting here.

Another thread that I started, and to which many members helpfully contributed, should also save you some time. Lots of photos, originals, before/after, etc.

PS: for Medina I ended up using the Bill Hirsch Chrysler Blue paint, two coats on top of Hirsch primer.

the problem I'm running into is the paint will not dry on anything made of rubber, (valve cover grommets, spark plug looms.) My friend had never had a problem in the past but when he painted his engine ( Hirsch Street Hemi Orange) he ran into the same problem. I'm going to clean the valve cover grommets and prime then paint to see if that solves the problem.

When I couldn't find Mopar Blue I asked around and that was recommended, I should have used Dupli-color, valve covers were painted three weeks ago and the grommets are still wet.
A honest and serious question for you!
Why are you painting **** that don't need to be, and shouldn't be painted? Or are you just to lazy to do it correctly?

Why are you painting **** that don't need to be, and shouldn't be painted? Or are you just to lazy to do it correctly?
The gromets are painted from the factory, just like overspray on the fuel pump and exahust manifolds. I chose to replace my gromets so they are still black. Just like the inspection marks and overspray, because the factory did it doesn't make it look nice so I eliminate them, but @polarus may want it close to original, so they were painted.

I cleaned the grommet for the oil breather and primed it, I let it sit for 24 hrs. then I applied two coats of Hirsch paint, still tacky after 24 hrs.

What a ******* douche bag. You didn’t even use the right form of “to”.

And honestly, what kind of idiot are you to tell someone what they need to do with their own property?

Surprised to hear that Hirsh paint didn't work out for some.... I don't care about paint on rubber, paint on iron is what really matters to me.

POR-15 engine paint is good, they offer it in brush on form though, unless they've come out with sprays recently. After I used that on one engine, someone mentioned that Hirsch is better. (?)

I've had fair results from Dupli-colour in the past - the only down side is that it goes on very thin and adhesion is not that good. Durability over the long term not so good.

My machinist gets me Aervoe Engine Enamel which I have found to be superb, they have Chrysler Blue, and I highly recommend. You have to get it through a supplier, though.

IMG_6496.jpg

Last edited:
I've never heard of Aervoe brand paint, I'll look into it. Thanks to you and SAMPLINGMAN for including photo's.

Last edited:
Back