Blower fan only works in A/C modes

41indian

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Help, 1969 300 Convert. Blower fan works in all the A/C modes but will not work in Defrost or heat modes....HELP ! I can hear all the doors opening and closing and feel heat through the vents but no fan...Thanks

I actually had something very similar to this happen to me years ago. If the switch in a 69 is made in a similar fashion to a 68. I believe the buttons on my switch are laid out from left to right off/heat/ac/max ac/def. Mine would also work in the ac modes, but not heat and def. The back of the switch came loose so when I would push the buttons the only ones that would activate the electrical part of the switch were the ac modes. It drove me nuts for sometime.

From this picture that I grabbed from ebay it looks to be the exact same type of construction.
s-l1600.jpg

The darker piece came loose and would not let there be a good electrical connection.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:
I actually had something very similar to this happen to me years ago. If the switch in a 69 is made in a similar fashion to a 68. I believe the buttons on my switch are laid out from left to right off/heat/ac/max ac/def. Mine would also work in the ac modes, but not heat and def. The back of the switch came loose so when I would push the buttons the only ones that would activate the electrical part of the switch were the ac modes. It drove me nuts for sometime.

From this picture that I grabbed from ebay it looks to be the exact same type of construction.
s-l1600.jpg

The darker piece came loose and would let there be a good electrical connection.

I hope this helps.

Hey Thanks a lot.....Looks like I'll be taking more of the dash apart...

Be very careful that old plastic is pretty brittle, but of course if it's already broke you'll need a new one.

41 Indian... is this referring to a motorcycle?
Thanks for the warning...I bought an extra assembly a while back for a knob...Hope the switch is still good..
As for the 41indian...It was a Pontiac...LOL

There was someone rebuilding those switches. At the time I needed one, I found a NOS replacement for less money, so I never followed up on it. Maybe somebody here might have contact info.

If you shop around, new switches are available on Ebay. The price seems to be all over the place.

Thanks for digging that up. I recommend a rebuild of yours with new parts versus an overpriced NOS unit with brittle, old plastic that will fail in short time.

Thanks for all the info, as always it PRICELESS !!!

Back