NOT MINE Blue 1971 Plymouth Fury, Three On The Tree!

Truth be told these cars suck to drive locally.
The non-synchro 1st gear really sucks because you're going to be downshifting into it a lot because of the /6. No PS while downshifting into 1st while making a turn turns ugly on a 90° day real quick. And the ergonomics of a bench seat of that era are another thing.

But it's still cool! :lol:
I kinda wanted it at first but now after Stan made it sound like so much fun to drive I REALLY want it! :poke:

Nice car i doubt the floor pans are crusty.

Old age creeping in some more on us...having owned a 3 on three slanty large car and driven many many miles...they are easy to drive, it just takes a different technique. To all you old curmudgeons - Try the cup is half full just for once

they are easy to drive, it just takes a different technique. To all you old curmudgeons
Are you insinuating I am not man enough to enjoyably drive one?
I can enjoyably ride any vehicle (excluding K-cars) however it's equipped.
Which leads me to conclude that I am now qualified on which vehicles I choose to drive.

Folks, there is a reason why the marketing scheme was Plymouth < Dodge < Chrysler < Imperial. For a given model year, comfort improves quite substantially as one goes from the bottom to the top of the price ladder. @commando1's post simply recognizes this fact, adding useful details for readers who have not experienced those cars first-hand.

I think that we can all agree that this car is great for what it is: a well-preserved and fine example of frugal automobile transportation in the early 1970's. Yes, it is basic. And that, to me, is what is cool about it.

The non-synchro 1st gear really sucks because you're going to be downshifting into it a lot because of the /6. No PS while downshifting into 1st while making a turn turns ugly on a 90° day real quick. And the ergonomics of a bench seat of that era are another thing.

But it's still cool! :lol:

Starting in 1970 with the 6 and small 8s you could get the A230 3 speed which had a sychro'd low. Need to see the fender tag.
We had a 66 Coronet with the 225 and 3 speed and no power anything. I don't recall ever having any problems around town. People knew how to shift back then.

... a well-preserved and fine example of frugal automobile transportation in the early 1970's. Yes, it is basic. And that, to me, is what is cool about it.

Back then such a car was called a "full-size stripper".

I sent that listing to a friend and he replied, "no wonder the miles are so low, that thing would be hell to drive!" I laughed my *** off.
The cremudgens that hate on this car are the polar opposites of the cremudgens that ordered them!
Probably miserable cheap assed bastards!
I love this car and the cheap bastards that bought them.

We would be in a much better place today if you could order 3 on the tree fleet cars.

My friend that I got the 65 Newport from. Told me the post office said they can't deliver packages to his house anymore.
When he asked why they responded you must have a U shaped driveway for deliveries per the new policy.
He then asked, what the hell does that matter?
They responded with they are no longer allowed to put the mail jeeps in reverse anymore. They have backed into too many things.
Can only drive forward now.

Welcome to the new world order.

Last edited:
That must be why the incompetent asswagons from all of the delivery "services" leave the package at the driveway gate (which is open much of the time!) rather that driving up to the house, drop it off, and turn around in front of the shop! The turnaround is simple to figure out, but apparently, postal workers and delivery toads can't decipher the code.

Back then such a car was called a "full-size stripper".
Long story, but I ended up at a Canadian "gentlemen's club" with some GE co-workers and they had one of those.

Went to the can and when I came back she was sitting at the table with the other guys. She was French Canadian and could just barely speak English.

Somehow, that seemed normal for that particular work assignment.

Yea try it with a 440 BB, PK21's with manual steering, I guess the State Police that were 'Patrolling' the highway didn't need to do many 90 degree turns or parallel park, 6 full turns lock to lock, rumor was back then was they put the 3 spoke steering on the manual steering box because the 2 spoke wheel would break from all the strong arming. Thank god my PK21's had the power disc brake option as getting into my Fastop for the first time with manual brakes was a eye opener.
The trick with manual steering is don't try to turn the wheel standing still, just creep the car (roll) slowly and the turning goes fairly easy.

My mail carrier did a two point turnaround in front of my house just last week.
The USPS delivered packages to my son's house. His driveway is about 1/4 mile long. After dropping off the packages she backed up and drove down the driveway.
How do mail trucks back up to the docks?

We would be in a much better place today if you could order 3 on the tree fleet cars.

My friend that I got the 65 Newport from. Told me the post office said they can't deliver packages to his house anymore.
When he asked why they responded you must have a U shaped driveway for deliveries per the new policy.
He then asked, what the hell does that matter?
They responded with they are no longer allowed to put the mail jeeps in reverse anymore. They have backed into too many things.
Can only drive forward now.

Welcome to the new world order.
I'm calling :bs_flag: on this one. Common sense tells you that this has to be nonsense.

I'm calling :bs_flag: on this one. Common sense tells you that this has to be nonsense.

I heard something similar from the local postmaster, but it's really that they aren't allowed to back out into traffic.

One turned around on my lawn once rather than back out (my driveway is tough for some) and I had a sheriff do the same thing once too... I wasn't home for either one.... The driveway got better turn around when I had it repaved, mostly for our benefit, but the occasional delivery person now can turn around...

It's nonsense alright but it is reality. My friend called bullshit on it in real time. But the end result was that he was forced to make time to get to the post office and pick up his package or have it returned to the sender.
This went on over the course of a week. He, like myself commutes and can only be in town during postal hours by missing work.

@commando1 you do realize that you are referring to "common sense" in 2021 correct?

The trick with manual steering is don't try to turn the wheel standing still, just creep the car (roll) slowly and the turning goes fairly easy.

Steering while standing still is always wrong, manual ór power steering. Difference is that with power it's easier to do but your steering components ánd tires won't like it..

Back