NOT MINE Blue 1971 Plymouth Fury, Three On The Tree!

That car was sold new to the original in Pittsburgh PA and was NEVER a fleet car. My friend Carl bought it from him in 2000. I bought if from Carl in 2001 (I mounted the fire extinguisher). I sold it in 2002 to a dealer who sold it to a guy in Minnesota. That guy sold it to the present owner in 2018. I have now bought it a 2nd time. So I was the third and soon to be the seventh owner.
Both Carl and I bought it to replicate an NYPD RMP. We both felt it was too nice to do that to this car. Yes the NYPD had Slant 6's in the Precinct cars. Only thing it needs is an automatic transmission, otherwise all is the same. Yes, NO AC, PS or PB on that era of NYPD cars. I now plan to leave it as is and enjoy it.

BTW. I don't know why the wheels are not body color. I remember they were black when I bought it. Does anyone recall if the cars came with body color wheels when they did not have full wheel covers?

BTW. I don't know why the wheels are not body color. Does anyone recall if the cars came with body color wheels when they did not have full wheel covers?

Maybe this will help you out, from @Tobias74's thread.....
1971 Plymouth Fury 2 Sedan
fed7c2e2-f4a8-4977-ac15-5277ed72a83c-jpeg.jpg
809c4ad5-6c2f-4834-b9d8-b90790c92eed-jpeg.jpg

That car was sold new to the original in Pittsburgh PA and was NEVER a fleet car. My friend Carl bought it from him in 2000. I bought if from Carl in 2001 (I mounted the fire extinguisher). I sold it in 2002 to a dealer who sold it to a guy in Minnesota. That guy sold it to the present owner in 2018. I have now bought it a 2nd time. So I was the third and soon to be the seventh owner.
Both Carl and I bought it to replicate an NYPD RMP. We both felt it was too nice to do that to this car. Yes the NYPD had Slant 6's in the Precinct cars. Only thing it needs is an automatic transmission, otherwise all is the same. Yes, NO AC, PS or PB on that era of NYPD cars. I now plan to leave it as is and enjoy it.
Good to hear it went to someone who will leave it the way it is.

BTW. I don't know why the wheels are not body color. I remember they were black when I bought it. Does anyone recall if the cars came with body color wheels when they did not have full wheel covers?

Depends on the build date of the car....sometime in the Spring of 1971 Chrysler switched from body coloured steel wheels to just painting them all black. I am guessing that made it easier for production and thus saved them a bit of money. The exact change over would vary from Assembly Plant to Assembly Plant. What is the scheduled build date on your car?

Congratulations that is a cool car!

Dave

Depends on the build date of the car....sometime in the Spring of 1971 Chrysler switched from body coloured steel wheels to just painting them all black. I am guessing that made it easier for production and thus saved them a bit of money. The exact change over would vary from Assembly Plant to Assembly Plant. What is the scheduled build date on your car?

Congratulations that is a cool car!

Dave
I will verify build date once I have possession of the car. It makes sense.

Build date is 2-71. I'm figuring by then Chrysler started with non body colored wheels. I sold the car 20 years ago with LOTS of original paperwork including the build sheet from under the rear seat. Unfortunately none remains. That will tell me the wheel color. I temporarily put on a set of tires mounted on 54 Plymouth wheels that are blue. The car actually looks pretty good with whitewalls, clip on hub caps and painted wheels LOL. I plan on keeping it original so the tires will ultimately go on the original wheels once I have it figured out.

I have determined my car DID NOT come new with body colored wheels. Now my question is do I repaint them gloss black or satin (chassis) black???

I believe they are supposed to be around a 75% gloss.

Here's a photo of an original wheel in it's factory paint.

5600milebeeH.jpg

As you found out, 1970 was the last year for wheels that were painted body color.

Jeff

As with most topics, the best and most definitive information on the subject comes from Chrysler.

Here is PE21T1D304307. A 1971 model.
It has an SPD of 613 or toward the end of the model year.
The broadcast sheet shows the wheels were painted EW1 to match the color of the car.

Meaning body color wheels were still coming on C bodies as late as June of 1971.

DM41U2D224494...a 72 model car...has wheels painted to match the body color. Meaning '71 wasn't the last year for body color wheels.

RL41K3G163087...a 73 model year car...has painted wheels.

PE21T1D304307_2.jpg

Last edited:
As with most topics, the best and most definitive information on the subject comes from Chrysler.

The broadcast sheet shows the wheels were painted EW1 to match the color of the car.

Meaning body color wheels were still coming on C bodies as late as June of 1971.

DM41U2D224494...a 72 model car...has wheels painted to match the body color. Meaning '71 wasn't the last year for body color wheels.

View attachment 482798

Yes, I was told painted wheels became an option. Mine is a 1 option car, M85 Front and rear bumper guards. That's it. We had painted wheels on our fleet vehicles as well. I guess we spec'ed it out that way back then (before my time). I wish I had my build sheet. It went with the car when I sold it in 02 and upon it's return to me in 21 it didn't return with the build sheet. I have to get under the dash in hopes of finding one. Thanks for the info.

I'll have to chastise the person who told me '70 was the last year for the matching wheels.

Jeff

I'll have to chastise the person who told me '70 was the last year for the matching wheels.

Jeff

I don't think they were wrong. I heard it from a few people. I was told by an "old timer" only our marked cars had body color wheels back then. The unmarked had black wheels. I dismounted the 20 year old tires this weekend and the inside is black so apparently that is the original color.

I guess it's possible that the black wheels in '71 could be on civilian cars, where colors were still available on fleet cars.

My father ordered a white, low option Dodge Dart in 1971 and it came with black wheels and the dog dish caps.

Jeff

Back