NOT MINE Blue 1971 Plymouth Fury, Three On The Tree!

I don't think they were wrong. I heard it from a few people. I was told by an "old timer" only our marked cars had body color wheels back then. The unmarked had black wheels. I dismounted the 20 year old tires this weekend and the inside is black so apparently that is the original color.

The problem with anecdotal stories is they are often not based on any real research or facts but just casual observations.
The problem becomes when memories are passed on as facts and get 'mis remembered' over time.
While the actual application of painted wheels is another topic of research (which cars actually got what), documentation provided by Chrysler shows that painted wheels were available after 1970.

Memories fade, documentation is forever.

Did you check the date code on the rims to see if they were potentially the original wheels?

Yes, I was told painted wheels became an option.

Then we should be able to find a reference to this on factory info such as order guides, data books, salesman pocket books, fleet buyers guides, window stickers et al.

IF this was true, then we should be able to prove it.

Last edited:
12 15 70 date code. Production date of the car is 2 18 71. It makes sense these are the wheels the car was built with. Considering the entire wheel is black inside and out, I'm convinced the car rolled out of the Newark Delaware plant with black wheels. First coat of satin black was applied.

Paint'em black. They look more badazz and absolutely no one will care/wonder about the wheel color.

Back