braking hard

69monaco

Reaction score
Hi all , most braking problems are they don,t work that good.......
But what,s wrong when you touch the brake padel a little and almost flying through the windshield.......
( drumbrakes and the correct master cilinder).

Martin.

Usually leaking wheel cylinder wetting the shoes increasing friction. Ive got an out-of-round drum up front that locks up at low speed which may also be a problem. Have you pulled the drums off yet?

As dobalovr said ck the wheel cyl's, but if the shoes are old and asorbe moisture they will grab hard until they dry out

Okay , will do that , let you know....thanks.

Martin, IF, and I say IF you've replaced the MC your MC push rod is very probably out of adjustment and your MC piston is in the wrong position. A 1/16th of a turn can make the difference on weather you're dead on or dangerously off in either direction, too much or not enough, and this can happen with power brakes thru' the booster or Manual with no booster. Been there and had to play that game...And make sure the push rod is not sticking when it's bottomed in the piston hole. AND THROW AWAY THAT LITTLE RUBBER BAND THAT THEY TELL YOU TO PUT ON THE PUSH ROD, Jer

To see if its just one wheel, use a pry bar or piece of wood wedged between the seat and brake pedal. Engine off very light pressure and jack each wheel and turn to feel if one is different... much easier with a lift but feeling differences in turning torque is how I narrowed down where to begin my inspection/diagnosis. I am assuming its in your front wheels but not guarantied... so please be careful and on level ground check rears and remember even in neutral they will feel different than the front.

As dobalovr said ck the wheel cyl's, but if the shoes are old and asorbe moisture they will grab hard until they dry out

100% right on. We just replace the wheel cylinders on the '62 300 and had same problem. After checking every part we replaced and adjusted per service manual the RF was locking up while pulling forward out of the garage. We then burned off the brake shoes for any oil etc and same problem persisted, We then replace the front shoes and fixed for the last three months. We then replaced the back. You could not see any contaminated oil etc on the shoes. It brings the brake fluid up as they are used.

Finally spent some time on the brakes , the first 3 (front and left rear) didn,t look that bad and the cilinders were dry but the shoes very hard/glossy.
The last one , right rear( it,s always the last ( LoL ) was brand new , shoes / springs/wheel cilinder etc.........( cilinder new and dry ).
But the shoes were wett , there was some dark grey grease on it , maybe they put a new wheel bearing in it and the grease hit the shoes ???
Anyway the car brakes good now........Thanks!!!!!

Was the axle seal area dry? The seal could be leaking. Or maybe they got carried away with greasing up the pads on the backing plate

Yes that,s dry , no oil just a little grease at the lower part of that seal area........

Last edited:
Back