Broken trailer hitch

SGT FURY

Reaction score
While towing my dump trailer with some scrap bowling alley pin setters my trailer hitch snapped as I was driving onto scale!!!!!!
Thankfully it happened there and not while driving down the road.

IMG_7088.jpeg

IMG_7096.jpeg

IMG_7094.jpeg

IMG_7082.jpeg

Wow that could’ve been very bad! You must’ve had the guardian angel of scrap looking out for you.

That steel looks like it had been compromised for some time. Lucky it didn’t happen on the road with a load in the dump.

glad that finished breaking off where it did , from those rusted areas it had been breaking for a while . just clean it up , and weld it back together and grind some on the other side and reweld that side to . be double careful bud . oh i was cruz'n a antique shop the other day and from you a vintage pic of a 61 plymouth wagon ad like 8x11 just guessing the size . pm me will talk and text ya a pic of it . just a little thats for helping me score those trucks .

Already put another receiver from a parts truck on.
Back in business hauling scrap
today.
To have had that break while driving on the scale of all places !!!!!!!!!! VERY lucky!
I can’t imagine what would have
happened if I were at freeway speeds??????
I was still able get the load weighed in.
Just posted this to give a reminder to check your hitch/receivers if you do a lot of towing.
Especially on second gen dodge trucks.
There was a recall on them years ago.

This happened to a buddy whose hitch broke in his driveway. He cleaned up the two pieces, rewelded everything with a fishplate on both sides, then he did the unbroken side up the same way. Three years later, it's still holding up.

This happened to a buddy whose hitch broke in his driveway. He cleaned up the two pieces, rewelded everything with a fishplate on both sides, then he did the unbroken side up the same way. Three years later, it's still holding up.
Flitch plate… :poke:

Back