Carb to Distributor vaccum line

polaratherapy

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
Hope someone has some insight to a recent issue I've had with my 67 Newport recently back on the road.
With all my enthusiasm to drive my Newport, I use any excuse to take it out for a drive.
I found the car was riding a bit rougher, each time I took her out, where yesterday while doing some work on the exhaust, fixing what I had to do then went to start her up with a no go.
She was not getting gas and after checking everything I found the vaccum hose between the carb and distibutor broken and brittle. Once replaced and the vaccum reestablished she fired right up.
My question is , have I altered timeing or anything in my efforts to get her started? I 've been driving it since August 2nd.
It drives much better now but just wondering what the experts have to say on such a situation.

Thanks
PT

From my experiences, which might differ from others, a broken vac advance line should not prevent starting in any manner. It will affect fuel economy and off-idle to mid-range throttle response, though.

Re-check the initial timing at hot, base idle . . . with the vac advance line disconnected and plugged. When done, reconnect the vac line and set the mixture and hot base idle speed to specs.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

From my experiences, which might differ from others, a broken vac advance line should not prevent starting in any manner. It will affect fuel economy and off-idle to mid-range throttle response, though.

Re-check the initial timing at hot, base idle . . . with the vac advance line disconnected and plugged. When done, reconnect the vac line and set the mixture and hot base idle speed to specs.

Enjoy!
CBODY67
Spoken like a true mechanic, beyond me as I am not a mechanic, the car did not want to start until I replaced the hose with a new one.
Just had the car out for a cruise and all was well.
Thanks for your response.

What CBODY67 said, and I believe you would want to attach line from dizzy to ported vacuum, not full manifold vacuum.

I was just going to post what was just posted in #4. It should not change the timing at idle at all. I would still check it with a timing light though.

Last edited:
Back