Bucket List Now Complete - 1960 Imperial Crown Coupe

saforwardlook

Old Man with a Hat
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Well, since I am on a photo roll of late, I thought I should also show some photos of the one car that has eluded me for a lot of years now, that if found, would complete my bucket list. I think I have pretty much every model of car that I have ever wanted (until the next surprise comes along at least that I never knew I wanted!).

I have had 4 1960 Imperials for quite a few years now while searching for the right one that I would like to restore. The 4 coupes I already have are all Crown models but they would best be described as parts cars rather than the one that I was really looking for. I couldn't even decide the color I liked best and I had never found a coupe that was good enough to restore - until I linked up with Bob Saigh of Iowa also on this site, and mostly known for his love of Formals.

In my discussions with him in the past, I learned that he also likes 1960 Imperials, and also has a really nice darker blue Crown coupe that is his "baby" and has a lot of options on it. In one of those discussions, he mentioned that he also has another Crown coupe that he had wanted to restore some day. It turned out that he bought it 35 years ago now from Colton, California because it was a really nice complete car and totally rust free. I thought that was remarkable since Colton is only about 20 miles from where I now live! After many discussions with Bob about that car he decided that given his already nice blue one, he could let his other one go - to me! So here are some initial photos of the car I finally have to restore after many years of searching - in powdered bronze, my favorite color on these. Bob drove this car from Colton, California to Fort Dodge, Iowa when he bought it back in 1982 and he made the trip successfully. But shortly after arriving in Fort Dodge, it appears for some reason the oil pump gave out and locked up the engine. So long story short, this car has sat untouched in a large storage facility in Iowa for 35 years until it returned to its "home" once again in California. I am looking forward to launching into its restoration about 4th on my list now and am very appreciative for Bob making one of my dream cars come true. He has become a good friend now after many discussions and sharing the same interest in these unique cars. There is nothing quite like them. Given the story, it seems this was all "meant to be"! Here it is after some cleaning up. Thanks Bob!

2017-11-03 00.56.08.jpg
2017-11-03 00.56.34.jpg
2017-11-03 00.56.58.jpg
2017-11-03 00.57.19.jpg
2017-11-03 00.57.43.jpg
2017-11-03 02.00.50.jpg
2017-11-04 00.00.58.jpg

It also has its old California black and yellow plates that I am going to be able to keep with the car. It has 68K miles on it.

And here are a few photos of Bob's 60 Imperial Crown coupe (in a great color as well) - and with the period correct white walls:

2017-11-01 00.00.45.jpg
2017-11-01 00.01.05.jpg
2017-11-01 00.24.41.jpg

Last edited:
Wow.... that's a nice platform to work from Steve. I'm sure you will have the car "right" in short order.

Congrats to you and Bob.

Both cars are very nice. What engine does yours have and is it rebuildable?

Both cars are very nice. What engine does yours have and is it rebuildable?

The only engine available in a 1960 Imperial was a single 4 bbl Carter AFB equipped 413 cu in raised big block V8 rated at 350 HP. I will not know if mine is rebuildable until I tear it down and inspect it. I do have a running 413 in one of my parts 1960 Imperials, and since these engines were not stamped with the VINs, using one from another 1960 Imperial, if necessary, should be fine. Although this bronze one in not currently equipped with A/C, I am going to add it from one of my parts cars as well, in addition to the requisite power vent windows (it already has power windows, standard, that all still work, to my amazement!). No luxury car is complete without either of those two options, at a minimum. :)

Congrats Steve! I also love the 60's.
It's gonna look gorgeous when complete. Keep this thread alive with updates please.

:wideyed: so much for you thinning the herd ..... you usually leave me speechless every time you show another photo:wideyed:

For a long time, '60s were my favorite. Then I switched to '61s. (I like the "retro" headlights, factory alternator and undercut fins.) But in reality, it's like a choice between sausage and pepperoni pizza. Congrats.

The 1960 Imperial (LeBaron) is my second favourite car, (behind the '57 300C), great design, beautiful from every angle.
She'll be a gem when restored.

Congratulations on finding such an elusive Imperial. The lines on that car are 2nd to none.
2 door 60 Imp's seem to never come up for sale, especial with just 1500 built. The last operational one I saw was on Chicago CL a couple years back which I think was for sale at $7500.
But as usual, I was too late to the dance.
1960 Chrysler Imperial Crown For Sale , Iowa

Seriously? That's a nice car, glad it found the right caretaker.

:wideyed: so much for you thinning the herd ..... you usually leave me speechless every time you show another photo:wideyed:

Well, Dave, I look at it like this. When this car is done, I can let go of my other four parts cars (in fact, the one parts car that is almost rust free now, will not be needed since this one from Bob needs no rust repair, so I have already sold it to a guy that just had to have it badly). And this week I also sold my 1970 Chrysler 300 TNT convertible (red with white interior) to another guy that wanted it bad - (and I knew he would do it right) so I could focus on doing a B7 blue convertible instead that I also have. I also sold a 1970 Chrysler 300 coupe like the one on the 1970 factory brochure cover as well shown below, also to a guy that wanted it bad and will also restore it to new. I know both of the new owners will do them right and they didn't hesitate to buy them. So I am making progress, even though it doesn't seem like it at times.

70chr-cover.jpg

Back