Building an body stand.

mopar_4life

Reaction score
Hello,

I am sorry if this might be a stupid question. I have a 65 Polara Convertible that Will be getting painted next summer ( Hopefully, as long as my friend is in good heath). He would like the car dustless blasted to remove all the bad stuff off the car. The car is coated in undercoating and bondo so it does make sense. I was considering building wooden stands that would attach to the front (at the front Subframe bolts or with the frame attached at the bumper mounts? ) and the rear bumper mounts. I was thinking of getting some wheels also to help move it around.

Do you all think that its a reasonable thing? Would it be better to leave the frame attached to the car? Would it keep the body more sturdy? Would be wise to add a center piece that travels from the front to the back to keep it from bowing in?

I would guess it would have to be substantial. I figure go 8 inches further out of the body on each side.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Eric

Wood?? I wouldn't go that route at all. I would think steel would be the only way to do this. I built a dolly for the resto of my B-body 6 or 7 years ago and it's still bolted to it...go figure.

The wood can be used for a dolly if the car is sitting on it, it wouldn't be good to try to bolt it to the bumper mounts. Like Matt said metal is the way to go. You could always resell it when your through with it.

Back