Bulging Alu Radiator Tank!!!

Knebel

Reaction score
I discovered this a few weeks back. Car runs fine, does not overheat at all. Fan cools it down quick from 210 to 200.

I have replaced the cap thinking that could be the problem. Should I be concerned much or is it just poor china construction? Could be that I had filled the radiator too much?

20211007_130309~2.jpg

The first step is to confirm if the gauge is accurate by purchasing a laser digital point and shoot thermometer. If accurate, call the radiator company that made it or if unknown another manufacturer. See what they have to say.

I dont remember exactly but i think it was champion if had this on in there for years. Just now noticed it!?

Go back to 13lbs before it blows!

13lb vs 16lb should not make a difference. Champion builds their tanks to handle at least 16lb. However, because the tanks are fabricated out of a flat piece of stock, there is the ability for it to bulge a bit. If you notice the tanks like Cold Case and Griffin, they are stamped. In addition to looking more original, they are also much stronger when stamped.

Well champion said it could have been caused by a faulty cap or clogged overflow hose. Have not checked the hose but have the new cap.

Well champion said it could have been caused by a faulty cap or clogged overflow hose. Have not checked the hose but have the new cap.
This is possible. If either failed and your motor had an issue with overheating, the pressure could have built past 16lbs. However, I think you would have been able to see or feel a situation like that?

I only had 1 incident where the motor got hot but not overheated. I had the bypass hose blow up and instantly pulled over....

So far I have not noticed any negative effects. Car is not overheating and stays at 190°.

I think I might have overfilled the radiator before...

So far I have not noticed any negative effects. Car is not overheating and stays at 190°.

I think I might have overfilled the radiator before...

Over filling won't cause that unless the overflow was blocked. It would just puke the excess on the ground.

13-16 psi could bulge the tank, depending on the shape and size as well as the gauge of the material.

If it isn't leaking yet, lay off the high system pressure cap and it should be fine. System pressure has ZERO to do with how hot the coolant gets. Its sole purpose is to raise the boiling point of the coolant higher than any potential temp generated anywhere in the system, ie around the exhaust ports.

A 50/50 glycol mix boils at 223f and for every 1 psi of pressure you raise that about 3 degrees. A 10 psi cap puts you at 253f +/- which should be sufficient unless you live in Death Valley. Less stress on hoses, heater and rad cores as well as water pump seals.

Kevin

Well it could have been a faulty cap too. However it never got so hot that it should have opened said cap. One thing I did notice is that my upper hose is very hard when its up to temp. Not sure if thats normal. I have my fan set to come on at 200 and off at 195. So far it cools it down very quick no problem.

Back