Burnt Offerings

I ALWAYS use Champion plugs in all my Mopars. I prefer using NOS, (J12Y instead of the modern resistor plugs). There usually available at any giving time on ebay and I keep a stock of them as well as J13Y and J14Y's

might as well fix the cut (smaller) red wire while you are under there.

might as well fix the cut (smaller) red wire while you are under there.

Yup You and Big J caught that. I don't know why they cut the buzzer wire but because the rim blow wheel's horn function is all broken i thought they might be thinking horn relay wire. So this weekend's project will be repairing the battery feed wire and reconecting the buzzer as well as installing a hopefully operational headlight motor (thanks c body bob!:)) and figuring out why the headlight doors only open but don't close oh ya and the flasher circuit is dead ugg hate running down electrical gremlins.

as well as installing a hopefully operational headlight motor (thanks c body bob!:)) and figuring out why the headlight doors only open but don't close

There's two possible reasons the doors won't close. The first is the contacts in the motor. You're going to replace the motor, so that may solve that. It's been my experience that the biggest problem with the motor is the lower bearing gets dry and needs to be cleaned up and greased. They come apart pretty easy and whatever you do, don't bother sending it out to be "rebuilt". I won't get into it names and specifics, I'll just say that you don't want to use that service.

The other problem could be the relay under the dash. A replacement is $$$ and since it also fits a Charger, they get $$$. A Bosch/Tyco relay can be substituted with a little rewiring. That's on my winter punch list as the stock relay doesn't play well with my added headlight relay. When I do it, I'll write it up.

There's two possible reasons the doors won't close. The first is the contacts in the motor. You're going to replace the motor, so that may solve that. It's been my experience that the biggest problem with the motor is the lower bearing gets dry and needs to be cleaned up and greased. They come apart pretty easy and whatever you do, don't bother sending it out to be "rebuilt". I won't get into it names and specifics, I'll just say that you don't want to use that service.

The other problem could be the relay under the dash. A replacement is $$$ and since it also fits a Charger, they get $$$. A Bosch/Tyco relay can be substituted with a little rewiring. That's on my winter punch list as the stock relay doesn't play well with my added headlight relay. When I do it, I'll write it up.

You're just a wealth of knowledge and always willing to share. Like many of the others on this great site.
:thankyou::thankyou::thankyou::thankyou::thankyou::thankyou::thankyou::thankyou::thankyou::thankyou:

I replaced all the autolite plugs with Champions and tossed the third set of NAPA wires out in favour of some MOPAR PERFORMANCE restoration wires. A mechanic told me many many years ago to always run Champion RJ12YC's in Dodge engines. That's what they left the factory with and I shouldn't second guess the reasons. Maybe he had a point.

This is interesting. . . Years ago I had a friend who raced a Super Stock '63 Dodge 426 Max-Wedge Dart with aluminum front end, 13.5:1 compression, etc. He had been using Autolite plugs in it, but he decided to try some new Champions that he heard were supposed to be the hot setup for plugs. The car ran two runs and then it began to misfire. He re-installed the Autolites (they had 22 runs on them), and the car ran great again. I've run Autolites in all my cars ever since.

This is interesting. . . Years ago I had a friend who raced a Super Stock '63 Dodge 426 Max-Wedge Dart with aluminum front end, 13.5:1 compression, etc. He had been using Autolite plugs in it, but he decided to try some new Champions that he heard were supposed to be the hot setup for plugs. The car ran two runs and then it began to misfire. He re-installed the Autolites (they had 22 runs on them), and the car ran great again. I've run Autolites in all my cars ever since.

I always believed autolite to be an ok second choice in mopar engines. Was always told no Delcos. I have used NGK in modern engines with good results but havent tried them in these old girls yet.

This is interesting. . . Years ago I had a friend who raced a Super Stock '63 Dodge 426 Max-Wedge Dart with aluminum front end, 13.5:1 compression, QUOTE]

This is an extreme example. There are all kinds of variables there. As far as good overall street performance and longevity, Champions......

The only ones I have ever had foul quickly was champs and delcos but that is the two I have used the most so laws of averages comes into play I guess. #7 cyl in my Challenger in the 80s would grow all sorts of ugly stuff you see on those old spark plug posters, but that was on regular leaded gas also.

Back