For Sale Buy it, and drive it home! 1972 Chrysler New Yorker (Not Mine)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The angle the picture was taken makes it appear smaller than it really is.
And if they didn't mention it in the ad, it makes me wonder what else they aren't saying.
But he did mention the dents.

It’s a beauty but the fact that the carpet looks to have been underwater does scare me a bit. Besides I’m a slab guy.

But he did mention the dents.
Exactly.

The chances of a 44 year old car not having some dings and dents are slim. These were everyday cars and for a long time, they could be bought for peanuts. Even low mileage examples sat in garages next to lawn mowers and bicycles. They got a little beat up over time. I'm more suspicious of cars that don't have battle scars being passed off as "original paint".

IMHO, it looks like a fairly clean car although I would be very concerned about the floors based on what looks (in a dark pic) like some bad or rotted carpet. As with any car, most issues like that become apparent with a personal inspection. Asking price is a little high, but you never know what the seller will take.

Exactly.

The chances of a 44 year old car not having some dings and dents are slim. These were everyday cars and for a long time, they could be bought for peanuts. Even low mileage examples sat in garages next to lawn mowers and bicycles. They got a little beat up over time. I'm more suspicious of cars that don't have battle scars being passed off as "original paint".

IMHO, it looks like a fairly clean car although I would be very concerned about the floors based on what looks (in a dark pic) like some bad or rotted carpet. As with any car, most issues like that become apparent with a personal inspection. Asking price is a little high, but you never know what the seller will take.

Exactly. If I was in the market, this car is worth a look. I even like the colors.

Hello,
I'm Devin, the guy that was selling this car in Detroit!

Just for the record, the floors are rock solid! The power windows did not roll all the way up before I fixed them, so the floors did get wet enough to damage the carpets. Thats what is all tore up on the floor. There is very little rust on the floors honestly. No holes. Not even flaking.

And there is a dent where the stainless trim is at the rear left fender, but it is rather small. Very noticeable, but I don't think anyone would consider it as "huge". It may appear bigger in the photos, but you may be mistaking the body's natural roll towards the bottom just above the stainless trim.

Just to be clear. This is a dent below circled in red. That large, gradual thing above it is a character line and is just the body. There's also a dent in the passenger side rear door, and a small one in the front driver side fender.
upload_2018-10-12_14-23-21.png

View attachment 193253 Also look at the reflection in the rear passenger side door, it either is dented, or bondo.
And a dangerously redneck fixed sparkplug wire.

Damn you guys are brutal.

That's a dent. There is NO bondo under any of the paint. You are looking at the factory paint, from the top to bottom. The only place there is filler (and I used Evercoat Rage) is under the vinyl top, where the original plastic filler was chipping out. Not lead, but a weird, plastic like filler.

Those are new spark plug wires. The aluminum foil is there to shield the interference to the radio. If you have every replaced the antenna on one of these you'll notice that the replacement ones from "Classic Industries" has a thinner wire, and I imagine, less shielding wire around the center signal wire. It is only a few inches away from the spark plug wire. Wrapping the spark plug wire in aluminum foil reduced the interference enough for me to get AM stations from farther away much clearer and reduced the 'POPPING' sound I hear the radio station signal fades.

new yorker.jpg

Why is that even mentioned? To sound smart?? Means nothing. Everything was built somewhere.

People that collect classic cars, and enjoy them when they are original colors and wearing factory trim and hub caps, are often interested in their history. On every vehicle I have owned, I have always looked up, and occasionally visited, the plant it was build at. When you live in Detroit, and are an automotive historian, I guess it seems exciting to find artifacts from Detroit's boom era (and the down turn afterwards). I guess I made a mistake in assuming people that like classic cars are into automotive history.

Last edited:
Don't take this site too seriously. There are mostly angry white men here who trash just about any listing - your car looks very nice to me and your choice of Rage Gold filler suggests you know the good stuff (by the way, is/was there any suggestion of rust below the rear window when you removed the vinyl roof?). And I appreciate historical comments as I worked for Chrysler starting in the late 1960s and remember my visits to Jefferson from time to time. Back then, it was very impressive to me at least.

You indicated you are the person who "was" selling the vehicle in Detroit. Does that mean it is sold? I wish you well in any case. I am not an angry old white man - it makes one too old too early. Just white and old. Ha Ha.

Don't take this site too seriously. There are mostly angry white men here who trash just about any listing - your car looks very nice to me and your choice of Rage Gold filler suggests you know the good stuff (by the way, is/was there any suggestion of rust below the rear window when you removed the vinyl roof?). And I appreciate historical comments as I worked for Chrysler starting in the late 1960s and remember my visits to Jefferson from time to time. Back then, it was very impressive to me at least.

You indicated you are the person who "was" selling the vehicle in Detroit. Does that mean it is sold? I wish you well in any case. I am not an angry old white man - it makes one too old too early. Just white and old. Ha Ha.
And I’ve seen you trash a listing or 2 now and then.:wtf:

And I’ve seen you trash a listing or 2 now and then.:wtf:

True, when they deserve it but hopefully not one as nice as this one. I like honesty/integrity. And you at least don't look as old as most of the rest of us from what I have seen. And you had a positive comment on this one.

True, when they deserve it but hopefully not one as nice as this one. I like honesty/integrity. And you at least don't look as old as most of the rest of us from what I have seen. And you had a positive comment on this one.
Yeah it has power vents Man!:)

Hello,
I'm Devin, the guy that was selling this car in Detroit!

Just for the record, the floors are rock solid! The power windows did not roll all the way up before I fixed them, so the floors did get wet enough to damage the carpets. Thats what is all tore up on the floor. There is very little rust on the floors honestly. No holes. Not even flaking.

And there is a dent where the stainless trim is at the rear left fender, but it is rather small. Very noticeable, but I don't think anyone would consider it as "huge". It may appear bigger in the photos, but you may be mistaking the body's natural roll towards the bottom just above the stainless trim.

Echoing @saforwardlook , I'm curious what ultimately happened to the car, too.

Why is that even mentioned? To sound smart?? Means nothing. Everything was built somewhere.

Just a point of interest to many of us.
In addition, back then quality varied noticably by plant. The old Jeff produced some of the best body finish and paint. Better than the new JNAP imo.
I like this car. And the pic at the Scott Fountain.

If you read the thread, the most angry (critical) comments are from a carbon-unit who claims 18 of your earth years.

Today, I'm identifying as a 7-year old English Sheepdog. This frees me from the constraints of restrooms, but if you come close, you should be careful where you walk.

...and I complimented his car and photos.

This seems to be a nice ride....IMO. Nice interior....hate the color but still a nice car! Also, let's lower the temperature in the room folks....Thank You!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back