C-Body Holy Grail Restoration Starts Here; 1970 6BBL GT

IMG_3695.JPG
IMG_3681.JPG
IMG_3758.JPG

I removed the original stub frame and took everything useful off... nuts, bolts, clips, spindles, tortion bars, sway bar, ...anything I could restore or reuse will be saved. -- the rest is scrap!

IMG_3700.JPG

It's a rare NASCAR GT only option. It gives more controlled braking on the short tracks!

Actually, the original A arm was taken out in the accident in the 70's. So I welded a new A-arm and brake set up below the original so I could get the car to roll. Made it easier much easier to move,... its on a dolly now.

Making baby steps... I had a family member pass...so between customer cars and work... I've been busy with life lately.

Removed 16 pounds of under coating from my replacement floor pans....

IMG_4964.JPG

IMG_4971.JPG

IMG_4974.JPG

IMG_4975.JPG

That's factory primer...pretty clean and decent replacement parts.

I finally found,... after searching for a few years, the correct 1970 3410627 6BBL/SIX PACK, 727 Torqueflight for the 6BBL Fury GT. Most importantly, the transmission assembly date is 24 days before the GT's SPD, so now the complete drive train are part numbers and assembly date code matching. And the VIN pad is unstamped! A huge bonus for the car. Needless to say I'm excited for the car.

Currently we have these correct date/casting and assembly coded parts; specifically for the 70 Sport Fury GT 6BBL.

Radiator
6BBl intake
Carburators
Engine
Transmission
Front end
Stub Frame
Rear axle
Wiper motor
Heater core
Tires
Wheels
etc.

There is a decent amount of NOS parts going on the car as well, but I'm mainly focused on having the correct engine/transmission and drive-train components in the car to make it as original as possible.

GT 6BBL 727.jpg
GT 6BBL 727 2.jpg

Last edited:
Hope to see that car sometime when its done.....
What do you think ........3-4 years ?

What makes this special or indigenous to the 6 bbl?

The 1970 3410627 was specifically built for the 6BBL engine. It has different internal components between the standard 440HP and 6BBL/Hemi. As I understand it, the 6BBL and Hemi 727 have more clutch plates, different gov. weights for changes in shift points. They have 4 pinion planetary gear sets, and have different valve bodies between Hemi and 6BBL 727 over the typical 440 auto trans, and the 440HP 727, bands etc.....and a bunch of other stuff I don't know about.

I'm not 100% sure what the correct torque converter is for the 6BBL GT.

The 6BBL 727 also has its' unique part numbers which are so important to a nerd like me!

Last edited:
In this case did the seller of the 727 know what he had?

Yep, the seller knew exactly what it was. It was not cheap at all, but it was exactly the car needed.

A few of you might call me crazy for the cost, but the car is better with it than without it!

Last edited:
Back