Camshafts

Why doesn't someone start a " anatomy of a cam " thread and teach those of us willing to learn something about them. There seems to be a boat load of knowledge here!! Personally I would benefit from it.

Why doesn't someone start a " anatomy of a cam " thread and teach those of us willing to learn something about them. There seems to be a boat load of knowledge here!! Personally I would benefit from it.
X2

I have to agree what with Stan said, that cam is about the most for a heavy street car. The bigger the lobe separation angle means reduced overlap which will result in higher vacuum thus better drivability, purple shaft, Mopar performance cams have been around a long time how they increased the LSA I don't know steeper/faster ramps? Those increased LSA cams should improve drivability as claimed but I have never tried or have seen one of these that I know of in a engine. I have first generation of Hughes whiplash cams I do not think it was even called that at the time it is hard to tune correctly and completely runs out of steam by 4500 rpm has decent vacuum the idle is meh. If and when I get a c body and it needs a cam/ rebuild I am putting in a 383/440 magnum restored cam or the "hemi" can with .474 lift Mopar performance cams I don't care if brand x or.y gives you 3-4, more horsepower its a friggin c body not a class or stock class racer, you can have the 3-4,HP advantage and maybe I will cut a better light. This is my 2.5 cents FWIW.

Because whatever we can contribute pales in comparison to the information available out there on the internet.
Example: Simply Google "cam design". You'll be overwhelmed.
Or, this would be interesting. Google Anatomy of a cam.

Haha, I did. After reading for a while it all sounds like stereo manual. "Put wire a in slot b for minimal decibel clearance "lol. Some people have a better way with word thus making it easier for wretches like me to understand.

Ok, now has anybody used a split duration cam like I have in my Ford stock FE engines. If staying stock those Mopar exhaust manifolds don't look any better than the FE log manifolds in flowing exhaust gases. Just by putting on headers my 390 can pickup 40 ft.lb. of torque all else equal. So let's say a 224/0.470 intake and a 230/0.480 exhaust through stock manifolds and dual exhaust on a 360 which may be stroked to 408.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/cca-20-312-4/overview/make/dodge

or, a little less lift and 110 LSA

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/cca-20-222-3/overview/make/dodge

Those are usually to help out with small exhaust valves or crappy exhaust ports. Probably can't really hurt. BB heads are better than Ford FEs. Earlier 340/360 heads exhaust ports are better yet. The manifolds are still your cork.

Back