Can I use a VIP dash pad?

Helomech1969

Reaction score
I have a 1968 sport Suburban Station Wagon that needs a new dash pad. I have acquired dash pad of the same color from the same year Plymouth except it was from a VIP. My question is am I able to use this in my car? The appears to be deeper from front to back with additional studs to hold it down. If I did my rough measurements right, it looks like I can drill the holes for the additional studs and this should work. If anyone can shed light on this and help me, I would appreciate it. Thank you forum!

This dash is deeper from front to back than the original. It is definitely different.

If that is the case and it essentially covers the entire top of the dash instead of the front 6" or so then the dash pad you have is from a '67 Fury. You could make it work but if it is in in really nice condition, IMHO it's worth 3X's what a '68 dash pad is worth because the '67's tended to lift up on the ends over time.

Bill

Bill, so let me get this straight. You are saying that the dash I have is most likely from a 67 regardless of the model? Yes, it is an excellent condition and it is actually the color that I need. But if what you are saying is true, I should offload this and be able to buy a reproduction for my 68.

Bill, so let me get this straight. You are saying that the dash I have is most likely from a 67 regardless of the model? Yes, it is an excellent condition and it is actually the color that I need. But if what you are saying is true, I should offload this and be able to buy a reproduction for my 68.

Yes to all except there are no reproduction dash pads. You can send yours or a core dash pad out and have essentially a new dash pad made. I think the cost is around $700 for a '68 pad but I could be wrong.

All '67 Fury models from Fury I to wagons to VIP's all used a dash pad that essentially went from the front edge of the dash back to the windshield. All '68 Fury models used a different, more narrow dash pad that only went around 6" or so back from the front edge of the dash.

Thank you for that information. I thought I had seen a couple of places that offer to reproduction dashes for the 1968 year model. So I guess my next step is to find a good replacement for my 68 and maybe somehow barter for this or however I can get a good 68. Thank you once again for all your help.

If you can't find a core to send out to be redone and you are not in a hurry, let me know.

Back